Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kisoji-Tsumago taxi 2013/11/14 09:27
Gooday. We are a few weeks away from our trip which includes staying at Hotel Kisoji (Nagiso) for a few nights. I'm keen (read desperate) to do the walk between Tsumago and Magome (or vice versa, depending which way is downhill). It works best for me to do it before breakfast in the morning then go back to the hotel to eat with the family, then do all or part of the walk again with them. Odd, but this is my life, at least I'm assured of having done it once regardless.
Anyway, would anyone know how hard it would be to get a taxi from the hotel to the start of the walk early in the morning, say 5.30AMish?
by Lazy Pious (guest)  

Re: Kisoji-Tsumago taxi 2013/11/16 03:46
You might be able to arrange a taxi at your hotel front the night before that can shuttle you over to Tsumago (or Magome for a lot more yen). If the weather is nice, you can start in Nagiso.

On the east side of the tracks (you have to cross to the other side from the train station exit. Turn left out the station and then left again to the tracks), and on the other side you might see the sign that points to Tsumago. There's a big old steam locomotive in a small park just below the path as you head south (right). This path follows narrow paved roads past some temples and farm fields. Just before you get into Tsumago there's a path to the right that takes you to the old castle site that gives views out over Tsumago and a view to Magome Pass that you must cross to get to Magome.

Going from Tsumago to Magome has the most uphill. From Magome Pass to Magome is about the only downhill.

I think a taxi to Magome would be expensive but that's also possible if you want to mainly go downhill.

Otherwise, you would could take the 7:12 train to Nakatsugawa from Nagiso takes about 20 minutes. There are 2 earlier trains that would get you to Nakatsugawa earlier where you'd have to wait longer for the bus. You then take the bus from just in front of Nakatsugawa Station to Magome. The 7:42 bus would get you to the bottom of Magome at 8:07 AM. The first bus from Nagiso to Magome would get you to Magome at 9:15 AM.

http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/kiso.html

The walk through Magome all the way to the pass is an uphill but after the Teahouse at the pass, it's downhill all the way to Tsumago. If you go this way, you can pick up a bus or taxi to Nagiso if you don't have time to walk.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kisoji-Tsumago taxi 2013/11/21 05:49
Sorry I hadnt thanked you for that great response. I'd forgotten I asked the question and was about to post it again...Now I dont need to. Cheers!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread