Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/24 20:50
I would like to try experiencing New Year's Eve at Yasaka Shrine in Gion, Kyoto this 31 Dec 2013, but have concerns about transport after midnight.

I would be staying in Osaka Umeda area. Hyperdia shows I could take the Keihan Main Line Ltd. Exp. from Yodoyabashi Station to get to Gion-Shijo station then walk to Yasaka Shrine, but are there limited express trains for the ride back?

Appreciate if anyone can also share their experience for New Year's Eve at Yasaka Shrine if you have done it before. Thanks in advance
by simonality  

Re: Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/25 13:50
last Keihan train for Osaka leaves at 23:31. if you really want to stay later, there's a capsule hotel nearby named 9 hours Kyoto: http://ninehours.co.jp/kyoto/
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/25 22:58
Every year Keihan railway operates trains all night on New Year's Eve. Trains are Express and Regular, and run every 20-40min. You should take Express from Kyoto to Osaka.
the time schedule will be anounced in the middle of December.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/25 23:04
Thanks MK and Ken for the replies. I'll stalk the Keihan Railways website for the New Year's Day train schedule then. Worst case scenario capsule it shall be. ha!
by simonality rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/26 00:45
Since many railways run special trains all night for Hatsumode (first visit to a shrine), I suspect the Hankyu Ry will also run all night on New Years Eve.
If that's the case, simply walk across the bridge over the Kamo river to KAWARAMACHI station. The Hankyu trians run direct to UMEDA station in Osaka.
http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v115/p774984211-4.jpg
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/26 23:23
Thanks Dick H. Hankyuu seems like a convenient alternative to Keihan. Hope the train schedules get published for 1 Jan early morning soon.
by simonality rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Yasaka Shrine back to Osaka 2013/11/27 04:34
If not I know the first Hankyu train leaves Kawaramachi at 05:00. You can just wait an hour or two and go then. There should be plenty of people still around.
By the way, right at midnight, most large temples ring their big bell 108 times. Some may let foreigners line up and ring it.
Chion-in, a very big temple, is near Yasaka.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread