Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

nearest to hiroshima 2013/11/29 01:05
which is nearest to hiroshima, osaka or kyoto? also, is it advisable to go to hiroshima during winter,like December?
by norilyn cuerpo (guest)  

Re: nearest to hiroshima 2013/11/29 09:56
Osaka is a bit closer.
Of course you can visit in winter as well, though spring and autumn are generally the better times to visit (almost) anywhere in Japan.
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: nearest to hiroshima 2013/11/29 09:56
Osaka is 50 km nearer Hiroshima than Kyoto, I've never been to Hiroshima during winter, sorry
by Gnaiyim rate this post as useful

Re: nearest to hiroshima 2013/11/29 10:14
Hiroshima's main sites are the Atomic Bomb Museum and Peace Park. The season obviously has no affect on the museum. The park is basically the same year round, as well. Plus the monuments in the park and the Atomic Bomb Dome are the main points of interest and they don't change either.

Hiroshima Castle is not a particularly seasonal castle. Shukkeien Garden is probably the most affected place in regards to season, but I think it should still look nice in the winter.

In general, Hiroshima is not a city where season is of great importance for travel.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: nearest to hiroshima 2013/11/29 11:16
Osaka is closer, and Shin-Osaka Station is the hub station that joins JR Central and JR West companies. There will be more trains leaving for Hiroshima from Shin-Osaka than from Kyoto.

There is a winter inlumination at Peace Park called Dreamination. It runs from November 17th to January 3rd. Here is a link:

http://www.dreamination.com/

There is also the Onomichi Lemon Festival that goes from November 30th to December 25th. Another link:

http://www.apahotel.com.e.ju.hp.transer.com/event_bank/detail/10117900...

There is something about a booth on the 7th and 8th ran by local high school students to promote Lemons (Hiroshima is the largest lemon producer in Japan).

I don't know about lemons, but what I remember about going to Hiroshima was eating roasted chestnuts. They were vendors selling them at the station, and a Miyajima Island. I had these in October, but I think roasted chestnuts sound like a great December memory.

On New years eve, there is a Fire Prevention Festival at the Itsukshima Shrine on Miyajima Island. The locals make pine torches and light up the shoreline. The embers are gathered and placed in family alters as a good luck charm to prevent their homes against fire. Another link:

http://www.miyajima.or.jp/english/event/event_chinka.html

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: nearest to hiroshima 2013/11/29 13:44
We visited Hiroshima in mid/late December and had a good time. It snowed very lightly one night which was very romantic.

The other great thing was Hiroshima had a really nice Christmas lights display. Definitely recommend timing your visit to see them. When we were there, they were testing the lights the night before the official start so we got to avoid all the crowds.

The negative, it gets dark early and shops close early. We went to Miyajima Island after visiting the Atomic Park and museum and a lot of the store were closed/closing at about 3pm. The cable car also closed early.
by Obake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: nearest to hiroshima 2013/12/1 21:48
To all,

Thank you very much!!! Very helpful!
by Norilyn Cuerpo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread