Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/1 19:58
Hi kindly assist me on the officials of climbing mt fuji
1. Can Mt Fuji be climb without mountain guide? Is it safe? Is the path/trail easily identified?
2. Any official registration must be done prior to climbing? Any charges applied? If yes, kindly assist
3. How to book the mountain hut? Direct or thro travel agent better? I'm not a Japanese conversant.
4. Is cooking allowed at mountain hut? Whether hot water available for a fee?
5. Whether ascend and descend can be made thro different route?ie ascend fujinomiya trail descend yoshida trail
Thanks!
by Azlina  

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 11:28
1. Yes, there are trails, so no one needs a guide. Just keep going up and don't leave the trail. In many places there are even ropes to show the path.

2. If you climb within the climbing season (July and August), you can just go there and do it.

4. The mountain huts are very small and only for sleeping, so you cannot cook there. Bring plenty of food and snacks.

They have refused to give hot water to climbers.

5. All of the trails end up at the top, so once you are at the peak you can go down any trail you want. No one will know where you came from and no one will care. Mount Fuji does not really have strict rules or registrations for climbers. Everyone is on their own, so you can make your own decisions.

by Fujifest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 12:15
1. Can Mt Fuji be climb without mountain guide? Is it safe? Is the path/trail easily identified?

During the climbing season, yes. Outside the climbing season, yes and no depending on when you are going.

2. Any official registration must be done prior to climbing? Any charges applied? If yes, kindly assist

No official registration during the climbing season but an (currently) non-mandatory fee is requested. You pay on the trail, if the system stays the same as last year.

3. How to book the mountain hut? Direct or thro travel agent better? I'm not a Japanese conversant.

Probably better for you to go through a travel agent then.

4. Is cooking allowed at mountain hut? Whether hot water available for a fee?

Hot water is available for a fee at most huts.

5. Whether ascend and descend can be made thro different route?ie ascend fujinomiya trail descend yoshida trail

Yes that is possible. Transportation between the trailheads may not be so good though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 12:39
Thank you very much Fujifest & Yllwsmrf for the assistance. Really appreciate it!

Btw once we are up on the peak will there be any signboard to indicate the trail name? Meant for descend if following other than the ascended trail. Or I guess asking people around will be the best option. Thank you in advance!
by Azlina rate this post as useful

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 15:08
About the hot water:
I witnessed them refusing to give hot water to a woman at one of the huts, even after she said she would pay the price of a drink. It was a foreign (Chinese) woman who asked for it which may have had something to do with it (language barrier was not an issue though). The staff was rather rude. There was no "omotenashi" there!

But sometimes you can get what you want in Japan by taking the long way. For example, you may be able to get hot water by ordering hot chocolate but telling them that you want the powder separate from the water. It sounds silly but it can help to be 'creative'.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 15:20
Ya Rabbityama..exactly that what we used to do at coffee shop..a simple yet budget way to enjoy ur favourite beverages! Thx a lot!

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 16:17
I was able to purchase hot water at one of the huts (at great expense) but I guess it depends on the particular place. Rudeness by the staff however, seems to be extremely common, and the huts were one of the few places in Japan where I ever felt taken advantage of as a traveller.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2013/12/2 17:40
Mind asking..what is d cost for a cup of hot water up there based on ur experience?

Re: Mt fuji climbing officials 2014/1/20 11:13
It is usually about \200 for a cup of hot water!
by ruka7 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread