Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/2 19:42
Hello, long time no see! I'm off to Japan in three weeks and busy planning my trip. This time I'd like to see some of the rural parts of the island. I'm staying most of the time (two weeks) in Kyoto, so I've been fascinated by the idea of one-night-trip in Kumano and Kumano Kodo. This would be in Dec 29-30.

My initial plan is as follows:
First day:
-Flight from Tokyo to Nanki-Shirahama airport
-bus Yunomine onsen, strolling Kumano Kodo to Hongu and back
-spend the night in Yunomine onsen

Next day:
-take a bus as early as possible to Shingu
(-train to Kumano-shi, exploring the coast and rocks)
-train to Owase, exploring "Magose Pass" in one way
-train to Kyoto

So my question is: is this even possible? And if it is, is it worth it?
Thanks! (:
by Elina (guest)  

Re: Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/3 05:26
What I don't know is what the weather is like in late December in that region. I do know that the bus route from Shirahama to Kyyasan is closed during the winter. Here is the link to the Kansai Wakayama Pass, which includes a bi-lingual bus schedule.

http://www.kumano-travel.com/index/en/action_ContentsDetail_Detail/id1...

A two day pass is 3500, and your should be able to take the bus to Yunomine Onsen, and other places near Hongu Taisha on the first day. (Route 1, Shirahama to Hongu area)

On the second day, the earliest bus leaves Yunomine Onsen at 6:55 AM, and arrives at Shingu Station at 8:05 AM. The next train to Kumanoshi Station is a limited Express that leaves at 9:13. The next Kisei liner train leaves at 10:52.

I am not sure how much time you plan to spend on the shoreline, or, the amount of time you plan to spend at Magose Pass, but if you spend over an hour at each, you will probably not be able to make it to Kyoto that night.

You will also be storing your luggage in lockers at Kumanoshi and Owase, and I can't promise that there will be one available.

I believe that the second day will be too diffucult to do.

I would be tempted to tell you to get a hotel the second day in Katsuura, drop off your luggage, and then go to Kumanoshi and Owase before returning to Katsuura. The bus pass will get you on a bus to Katsuura.

There is easy train access to Kyoto from Katsuura. There is a limited express train to Shin-Osaka Station, and then either Shinkansen or a rapid service to Kyoto. The lower cost is 7440 yen (rapid service), which is less than a 4 day JR Kansai Wide Area Pass (7000 yen). Link to the Pass:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

The pass stops at Shingu, and does not cover trains to Komanoshi or Owase. But you may be ab le to use the JR pass the following three days.

I think you should concider this a three day trip, and I hope I have given you the information to confirm this.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/3 06:12
A thousand thanks to you, ebaychucky311!

That helped me alot!
by Elina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/3 09:16
May I ask why you don't visit Nachi-san? It was my favorite among the Kumano Sanzan: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/kumano-nachi-taisha/
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/3 20:21
That's a very good question, zoomingjapan! Maybe I should stretch my time in Kumano some more...

This brought another question in my mind:
Is it possible to make it in KIX from Kii-Katsuura if my flight'd depart 14:35 on wednesday 25.12? What do you think?
by Elina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/3 23:25
I agree with zoomingjapan. I went to Hongu and Nachi this year, and Nachi was more spectacular, even with the cranes and work being done. If you plan to do that, I would still go from the Onsen near Hongu to Katsuura, and drop off my bags at a hotel. My preference is the Hotel Urashima, with the Sea Cave Hot Springs baths. I would then use the Kansei Wakayama pass to go to Nachi Taisha before it expires. I would then explore the beach and gorge the following day.

Good luck with your plans!

Re: Kumano Kodo - 2 days? 2013/12/3 23:34
On the train questions from KiiKatsuura to Kansei Airport (KIX) Here are the transfers:

8:54 AM - JR Limited Express Kuroshio 14 to Wakayama, 11:48 AM
11:59 AM - JR Kishuji Rapid Service to Hineno, 12:29 PM
12:34 PM - JR Kansai Airport Rapid Service to Kansai Airport, 12:46 PM

You should have time to make your flight.

reply to this thread