Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 41

1 2 3
next

What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/10 14:22
Ok, let's start with some background:

About 15 months ago, I (American) started working at the American division of a rather large Japanese company. I was working in the JOEM department and loving it. I've always admired many aspects of Japanese culture and I was experiencing a lot of it in person through my co-workers (ex pats). Anyways, maybe 4 months after I started working there a Japanese woman started working there as well that I immediately liked (as a friend at first) as soon as I met her. She had previously lived in CA (we are now in MI) for five years, and I had also grown up there until a couple of years ago. She also has a degree (from Japan) in English Literature, so these two combined means she is very fluent in English and American customs/traditions. Also as a reference, I am 31 and she is 35 (30 and 34 when we met).

This was in January of 2013. After a few months went by, we started talking a little more and doing some activities together. Oh, I should also mention that she is Presbyterian and I am roughly the same. I know this is unusual for most Japanese, and may be why she felt more comfortable around me when she found out that we shared the same faith. Anyways, we both felt comfortable around each other and I found out pretty fast that I was feeling much more than friends. We both worked our butts off since we were working in JOEM and they keep the Japanese work schedule (my boss was Japanese as well), so we could only hang out or travel on the weekends. She has a lot of friends so she wasn't always available every weekend (no big thing I understand that).

I think it was in July that she was talking to me about her concerns with her work visa and her application for a green card. I texted her later that there was another way to get a green card (that was a bad lead in I realized later), and that I really liked her as more than a friend. She talked to me later in person saying that she was surprised about my text and that she hadn't thought like that until I had mentioned it. She didn't shoot me down, but said she wanted to stay as friends for the moment and see where the relationship went naturally.

That's really exactly how I felt (I'm slow geared) so I was very happy with that. Fast forward a few more months to the beginning of September. We had spent a lot more time together, and even gone on an overnight trip together (separate rooms). I was about to burst with my feelings at this point and I know not to be too direct so I sat down and wrote her a long (not too long) meaningful letter and let her know very clearly how much I cared about her and how happy I was when I was with her. I left the letter at her door (we live in the same apartment complex - she moved here after she found out I lived there but not a "thing" I don't think). Later that night, she texted me and asked if I would like some of the Japanese curry she had made that night. She brought it over (I met her outside), and told me she really liked my letter and that no one had ever written her a letter like that. However, she "still felt like friends." I told her no problem, and that if we were more than friend in the future or remained just friends I would be ok with that.

After that, I switched jobs to a better situation/company for me (same area). We were both still working long hours and we ended up having a break for probably a month and a half. Out of nowhere, she texted me and asked if we could meet for a few drinks. We ended up having dinner and drinks on a Friday night, and just chatting about work and other topics we have in common. She confided in me that she was really stressed at work and I was the only one she could confide/complain in (I know that's at least partly because I'm not Japanese and I know all of her Japanese co-workers from when I worked there).

After that, we picked up on our activities/dates again. Oh, I should also mention that I always pay for everything and I've taken her horseback riding (first time for her), festivals, concerts, movies, dinner etc. Always one on one so basically dating.

On her birthday, I asked her manager if she could have a half day off work without telling her. He's also Japanese, knows me, and knows how I feel about her so he was glad to help out. I surprised her at work, and took her to a very nice day spa for a facial/massage. She loved it. She also invited me to her birthday dinner with one of her friends.

Then, 8 days later I had my birthday and she came to dinner with me. She seemed to have a great time.

I should also mention we go to church together as much as possible (work creeps into weekends sometimes for one or both of us).

Ok, now for more recently. Before Thanksgiving, I found out that she was only planning on doing some shopping on her own for the break. I asked her if she would like to go back with me to visit my parents on Thanksgiving, and she said yes (I was kind of shocked, in a good way). That worked out well and she had a nice time. Oh yeah, I should mention that previously she had her parents visit from Japan and she invited me to dinner with them while they were here. Bottom line, we've even met each other's parents.

After Thanksgiving, I texted her thanking her for coming with me and asking her if she'd like to get lunch sometime during the rest of the holiday. She countered with dinner and a movie, so I countered back with sure, and why not go ice skating? We went ice skating which she hadn't been in forever and loved. I was better than she was so I casually held her hand as we got on the ice and she kept it pretty much the whole time. Even after she got better and was able to skate without help, I asked if she wanted to practice or keep holding my hand and she wanted to hold it. She also mentioned how she needed to get good at skating so she could teach her kids someday. It was pretty clear she was feeling me out on the subject (I gave her a good response :) ) Dinner and a movie were also as good as usual. That same night, she asked that we go skating again which we will this coming weekend.

Ok, now for this past weekend. On Saturday, she asked me to go to a meet up event with some other people for a Christmas festival of sorts in the city. It was very fun, and we met some new interesting people. At the end, we all went to dinner and of course one of the other girls asked the two of us if we were dating. I was sure she would say we were just friends, but when we looked at each other she stayed quiet and obviously wanted me to take the lead. I said that basically we are friends "for now." The other girl jumped on that and teased that we had to invite her to our wedding. Without batting an eyelash, she (my friend)turned to the other girl and straight up said "if we give you an invite to our wedding, it would be all the way in CA." My jaw virtually hit the ground! She was half joking, but half serious. She also pretty much agreed that we were dating when pressed further.

Finally, yesterday we were returning home from a Toastmaster's meeting (something else we do together), and she for the first time ever invited me up to her apartment for dinner. I gladly accepted, she cooked for me, and we sat close on the couch and chatted for quite awhile. She was obviously nervous so I put her at ease as much as possible and ended the evening with just a hug (also a first). After skating next weekend I'm going to make her dinner as well at my apartment (a third first).

Sorry for the wall of text!! I would very much like to get some feedback on what you think she is feeling. Still just friends? Moving along towards more than friends? She is giving me an obvious green light now? She means the world to me, but I don't want to throw things into next gear too fast. I have been steadily and gently pushing this whole time as the guy (gotta take that lead, I know). Just not sure if she wants me to step it up now or not.

If you need more details, ask away. And thanks!
by Treebeard64 (guest)  

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/10 22:21
I suggest takeing it one step further after dinner @ your place...at least one short kiss while saying goodbye ;)
by asdf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/10 22:30
That's exactly what I was thinking as well (and what I really want to do). I just wasn't sure if it was important that I ask her to be my gf before I try to kiss her in any way. Just from some of the other threads I've read on this forum.v
by Treebeard64 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/11 00:05
wow..... I gotta have to say you are a true and well respected gentleman. I enjoy reading your story. She is very lucky to have someone like you. She cannot lose you! Just take it easy like you did and go with the flow. You mentioned that she wanted to go as nature to see what happen. That mean she accepted to become serious relationship if it work out. Also she told her about a wedding in CA, that was a good hint for you and her to start having relationship soon. However just take it easy... but ask her if she is kinda serious about that statement and does she ever thought about a future of you and her since you and her had so much fun memories and so much in common?
by AdventureGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/11 01:37
To simplify - she invited you to her place and then seemed nervous while you were sitting together? I think she was expecting more. But given your long friendship I wouldn't worry much about it. You've made your intentions clear, so at this point I'd let her take the lead (mostly).

Given her experience in the U.S., I don't think you have to be overly concerned with Japanese "rules".

Speaking of which, Asking on her behalf for time off work seems really inappropriate. Luckily her boss seems really casual, but I wouldn't do it again. Even in U.S. culture that crosses a line for me, but Japanese companies are more conservative.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/11 02:25
Thanks for the feedback so far.

ChicagoMike - as far as asking for time off on her behalf, I understand where you are cing from. However, let me clarify. A) yes, it was a one time thing. B) I knew how out of the ordinary the request was andvery politely felt oout the idea with her boss two months before her birthday just to see what he thought. I also knew ahead of time that he supported my feelings for her. He was quite enthusiastic about the idea so I hen asked him formally. C) the time off was "free" i.e. didn't come out of her PTO. Again, her boss being very awesome to me/her.

Also, regarding how she seemed nervous when I went to her apartment - yes, I got the vibe that maybe she was expecting more but nothing like jumping into bed if that's what you mean. Because of our beliefs, that isn't on the table until after marriage. At most, I should have maybe kissed her.

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/13 18:04
Fantastic story. Come back and update after you tie the knot. If it doesn't happen that would be ashame.

Awesome alias too - Treebeard haha it kind of fits. Kick it up man, move a little faster. Your religion forbids premarital sex but come on - kiss the girl! She HAS to be waiting. If you don't do it soon she might start wondering if something is wrong!
by Heh (guest) rate this post as useful

Huge update 2013/12/16 10:51
To the last response - haha thanks, my alias is kind of appropriate. Awesome that you got the reference.

So yeah, things are going extremely well. She has been a little sick, so we didn't go ice skating again yesterday but she did come over for dinner. I did my best with it (I'm no chef), and she really liked it. We got the wine going and after dinner we watched a movie and talked. I gave her a foot massage during the movie to get things a little more comfortable.

After the movie, we started talking and we both kind of led the conversation to "The Talk." I apologized for being so direct, but eventually asked her bluntly if she still just saw me as a friend.

Wow, was I pleasantly surprised. That question opened up everything and we laid all of our cards on the table. She said that no, she wanted to see where the relationship would go (still naturally, nothing super fast). From there, she started asking a lot of questions and I ended up telling her why I liked her so much. I got pretty mushy, but I could tell she loved it. We talked about possible marriage in the future, and what our plans were. It was funny and awesome - she had comments like how if she married me she would still be able to cook Japanese food since I like it so much (unlike a lot of other Americans that don't). :D

We also talked a lot about our pasts (we were both kind of wild), the people we've been with, and about physical intimacy. I actually found out that she DOESN'T want to wait until marriage for sex. I'm ok with that even with our faith as long as she is. I kind of figured that she would want to wait until marriage but she isn't so traditional. I'm not either (I'm not a virgin or anything, lol), but I did tell her that I'm not ready to sleep with her quite yet since we were just getting serious and it was important for it to be meaningful.

Yeah, wow. It was really, really good and a lot more than I had hoped for. She felt the same way and after the talk even said that she was happy and it was really good for us to have finally talked about it. I still haven't kissed her (lololol yeah I know), but she did say that she still wanted to take it slowly so I'll work that in as soon as the moment is right very soon.

I'm totally blown away and on cloud nine. Wish me luck!

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/16 23:30
Way to go Treebeard!

Keep posting about your story!
Just take it slowly and do what you and her always do! Next time when you and her are out for a nice date, at the end of date, you have to go for a kiss! Don't ask her for that and don't lend it too fast. Wait for a good moment and then just slowly approach her so that she will know you are about to kiss her.
Good luck!
by AdventureGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/30 17:48
I haven't updated this in awhile in case anyone is still interested. Not a lot to report honestly except that we're still doing well.

We've gone on a few more dates that have been awesome. We've done a lot of serious talking and one of our dates we went ice skating again. That was really nice. :) She almost fell several times and grabbed on to me full body, and of course we were holding hands. I'm not so sure she was falling "accidentally" either since the time before she didn't fall at all. We had walked to the rink from our apartment complex, and ended up holding hands all the way back too. She was sending off "kiss me" signals, or at least I thought she was, so I slowly went in to see her reaction. I could tell she didn't want to yet so I asked her about it and she said she wanted to keep things slow for now. She also said she would let me know when she was ready. It's awesome how open we are being about everything. So nice to take out the guess work.

Oh yeah, the date before that (at a restaurant then an English pub) I caught her staring at me/studying me over dinner. She didn't look away right away but kept the gaze and smiled. A small thing, but a pleasant surprise!

We have both been on vacation from work over the holidays, so I haven't seen her in a week (it's killing me). I won't see her for another week either (I'm going to die lol). I'll update more when there's more to write about. Thanks for the support so far from the few of you. :)
by treebeard64 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/31 03:43
That great news! Then do as she say by taking slow until she tell you she is ready.
Good luck!
by AdventureGuy rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2013/12/31 04:10
Come on... You got to pick it up a little bit. I am 62 and at your pace I may not live long enough to get the ending.
by luck1223 rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/1/3 06:36
luck1223:

Haha, yeah sorry. It's just how both of us work. I can't push things faster than how they are progressing really. It really may be a year or more before things really pick up. Who knows.

Thank you for responding, and for caring about my story though! I'll definitely keep this thread up to date with any important news. :)

New update 2014/1/29 06:54
Hey guys, new update. Yeah, I know we're slow as molasses. Also, I'm typing this on my phone so I apologize for typos.

Wechad a very nice day Saturday, and spent the entire day from 7:30 AM until 11:30 PM together. We are getting a lot more physical but still no major kiss. We have been hugging a lot and I've kissed her on the cheek and forehead. We also hold hands a lot when walking. I know, everyone thinks we are moving too slow...

BUT!! She kind of blew me away Saturday night. We were driving to dinner and she mentioned her plans to visit Japan in May (I knew about this) and asked me if I'll have vacation days available. Yes that's right - she asked me to go with her!!! We'll be staying in the Tokyo area in a furnished but empty apartment that her parents own. She also asked me me if I was comfortable with going with her and staying with her. You all know what that means...heh heh. :) We also talked about our feelings over dinner, and yes how we wanted to keep moving slowly. We're pretty much bf/gf now and probably more in the future.

We have a lot more planned in the next few months too. I'll update again soon, I think...

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/1/29 07:16
You all know what that means...

OMG! Don't tell us... You're actually going to (gulp!) kiss her on the...

... LIPS?!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/1/29 07:19
Haha yeah I deserve that comment... :P

Pretty sure that particular update is going to be here a looooong time before May. ;)

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/1/29 11:43
what a smart person you are !
slow is much better than quick.
rushing to make love tends to rushing to change minds and rushing to separate.
at least in Japan, a man, who make advances toward women so apparently, will be recognized as a man of lesser level of intelligence.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/1/29 23:55
You sound like a gentleman, Treebeard. Good luck to you.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/1/31 16:43
This is delightful to read. I wish you two the best of luck!
by Mahendri rate this post as useful

Re: What is your opinion on how she feels 2014/2/1 02:27
what does JOEM stand for ?
by *** (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 41

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread