Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Diving in Kerama or Miyako 2013/12/10 16:06
Can anyone advise which of the two islands (Zamami or Aka Island) is better to be based on if I (single traveler) wants to do diving on Kerama Islands?

I just know a tiny bit of Japanese (but have been to Japan 5 times and I have survived), and I love izakayas or local cuisine restaurant. Understand some ryokan / guest house do provided breakfast and dinner but I would prefer to wander around the town a bit after my diving, join the locals and have some awamori/shochu.

I am just a beginner in terms of diving, so would like dive sites to be suitable for me (no/little current, no deep dives, no wreckage). Do not know how to appreciate macro yet, so I like to see big fishes (manta ray, barracuda, reef sharks would be nice. :)

So basically, I would prefer to base on somewhere which has more choices for dinner and nearer to dive sites suitable for me. And any reccomanded guest house (less than 6000Y, with breakfast (attached or shared toilet/bathroom), near to port/harbour. Would 3 nights (2 day of diving) be enough or is it too much?

I am considering going to Kerama during the last week of June or 1st week of Dec (understand both are not best time to go Okinawa/Kerama but it is not the worst, is it?). Is it ok to book accommodation first? Then when I reached the island, i can find dive shops to book diving for the next day. Is this doable since it is not the peak season? With my limited Japanese, I find it easier to book accommodation than dives, online.

Miyakojima or Onna

Early Oct 2013, I dived in Ishigaki, and i loved it. Was supposed to dive next in Okinawa, Onna area (Cape Manza + Whale shark) but plans was cancelled due to typhoon. So I would like to include Onna in for this trip but I too read rave reviews for Miyakojima, but I am not sure if they are referring to the beaches or dive sites. I am not much of a beach person, so I would love some advise on this as well (Onna or Miyakojima, for diving).

Or should i forgo Kerama and do both Miyakojima and Onna?

Appreciate any help / advice. Thanks
by travelhappies  

Re: Diving in Kerama or Miyako 2013/12/12 01:41
I've tried to research the Kerama Islands in the past without much success. My impression is that these places are hardly bustling - you might not find any izakaya nearby. I would urge caution, and consider staying at a place that offers dinner. But if you find a place that is breakfast only, you can try asking them if there are dining options nearby.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Diving in Kerama or Miyako 2013/12/12 03:08
I have been to Kerama islands(Aka/Zamami). Both is beautiful, Zamami is more convenient.

I stayed here in Zamami. "Hamayuu"
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~hamayuu/

I stayed here in Aka. "Tatsunojo"
http://tatsunojo.jimdo.com
by timo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Diving in Kerama or Miyako 2013/12/12 04:24
Are there restaurants, etc.?
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Diving in Kerama or Miyako 2013/12/12 12:52
I've only been to Miyako, but it's really beautiful there. As I went in winter, I'm not sure about snorkeling / diving opportunities, but I'm sure there are some interesting spots.
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread