Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 08:14
Hello, my wife and I are in our 20s. We will be visiting Vietnam this spring and we have a layover in Tokyo (NRT) on Sunday May 4th from 7:40am to 3:50pm. I assume it will might be around 9am before we get out of the airport and we'll probably want to be back by like 2pm at the latest... does anyone have any good idea of what things we should try doing in that time?

Thanks
by Dallas (guest)  

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 11:53
I assume you will be using Narita Airport. Indeed, if you were to visit central Tokyo, you would be left with only about two hours of sightseeing.

Instead, you may be interested in something closer to the airport around Narita City. The following page introduces some options:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 12:09
Okay, so what would you suggest for someone from America who doesn't know any Japanese at all to do near the airport? I would be interested in eating lunch at some place that has good traditional Japanese food. Seeing some neat architecture. Stuff like that.
by Dallas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 12:26
Narita City, as Uji suggested, would be the best option unless you want to spend half of your available time getting to and from Tokyo. Narita City is quite nice and the temple is beautiful and the street getting there is full of little shops that sell food and souvenirs. It's a nice little view of Japan.

If you want to see cool architecture, then I'd suggest you visit Japan on a separate trip.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 12:51
Also, do you need a visa or anything to leave the airport and move around Japan?
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 13:06
I've been over several times, but last week was the first time we'd visited Narita city. Narita-san is a pretty massive temple complex that it really impressive and well worth a few hours. The walk to it from the JR station has a lot of shops and restaurants. We went to an okinawan one which was absolutely brilliant, and very cheap. So I'd recommend a Narita visit, for sure.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 13:19
Did you look at the page Uji linked to?

If the architecture you want to see is traditional Japanese architecture, then I think you should visit Sawara Town and/or Naritasan Temple. The temple will show you typical Japanese temple architecture and Sawara town has historic Edo Period buildings.

There is a Tourist Information Center near Narita Station, so that would probably be the best place to ask about good restaurants (if you decide to go to there). There should be plenty of traditional restaurants if their website is accurate.
by IndiAnna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 20:40
Sage, US passport is good in Japan without a visa.

Thanks for the advice guys.

U.S. Passport 2013/12/16 22:50
Sage, US passport is good in Japan without a visa.

No, that is not correct. When you enter Japan with your U.S. Passport, you get a 90-day visa at the airport on arrival.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/16 23:37
Hmm... this says a visa is not required, I can stay up to 90 days, and I will be fingerprinted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_United_States_citiz...

As long as the process doesn't take long I think I'll be fine either way. Can anyone foresee this taking a large bite out of the short time I have?

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 01:10
Whatever they call it, they put a sstamp in your passport. That constitutes a visa. I think I know because I've done it 18 times.

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 01:57
Okay, well I only got my passport about a month ago and this will be my first time leaving the states so it is all new to me. How long does it normally take for this stamp/fingerprint stuff?

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 02:01
It should take less than a minute to do your fingerprints. It's not even worth giving it any thought in terms of budgeting time so I wouldn't worry about it.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 03:42
depending on the line, I'd say it usually takes 10-20 minutes to get through the customs.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 08:30
Whatever they call it, they put a sstamp in your passport.

It is properly called "Status of Residence". A visa is a document required to get a status of residence. A visa is not needed if you have a US passport.

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 08:33
I'd say it usually takes 10-20 minutes to get through the customs.

On a different terminology issue, I think you mean immigration rather than customs. Most of the time there is barely any waiting time at customs. Unless you get chosen to open your suitcase. Then it can take a minute or more.

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/17 22:46
Thanks again.

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/18 01:31
Yes Uji I meant immigration, depending on the number of passengers arriving at the same time it can get crowded. based on my previous visits to tokyo, it usually took me up to 20 mins including waiting in the line. last time I revisited within 3 months and was able to skip the queue, pretty neat.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Layover in Japan, what to do near airport? 2013/12/18 06:33
Well Uji, perhaps neither one of us is using the correct term. I am looking at several in my passport on a page titled:
Entries VISAS Departures
It is actually a sticker that reads:
JAPAN IMMIGRATION INSPECTOR
LANDING PERMISSION

Then it has the dates, then Status: Temporary Visitor
Duration: 90 days

reply to this thread