Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is mid April a good time to visit Kokedera? 2013/12/27 09:49
Hi I will be heading off to Kyoto mid April. Just wondering if it is a good time for a visit as I have heard in some seasons there will not be full ground coverage of the moss? (ie. not very lush) Thank you.
by Viv (guest)  

Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kokedera? 2013/12/29 09:16
I would have thought that Spring time would be a good one for moss. Tend to have enough rain etc. Dont forget to book your visit in advance. You have to sit through a rather long service too....
by Englishman in the countryside rate this post as useful

Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kokedera? 2013/12/29 13:17
Spring is not optimum for moss. April is still cold and relatively bare. You need warm moist conditions for lush moss growth. Rainy season in June is best. Having said that reviewers on travel sites say that enjoyed their trips to Saihoji during April.
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kokedera? 2013/12/30 16:19
Thank you for the responses. One more question, is it too early if I am to send my application to the temple now for my April visit? (Not sure if there is a time frame limit where you can apply for a visit eg. max 2 months advance)
by Viv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kokedera? 2014/3/1 08:08
If you go to
http://images.google.com
you'll find lots of photos of Kokedera, almost all when it looks its best.
But if you look at:
http://blog.shadowfantasy.com/2011/05/japan-april-16th-katsura-imperia...
you'll see it at the time that you also plan to visit, around mid-April.
Please also be aware that you have no choice on the time you wish to visit.
Only you can decide if it's worth the 3000 yen and time to make it over there. The experience might be worth it anyway, but it's all up to you. After the rainy season and autumn is a better time to visit though.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread