Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting to Tsukiji Fish Market 2014/1/18 23:35
Okay, I read all the info about showing up REALLY early to ensure being able to see the tuna auction. I get that.
But, I don't get transportation.

We will be staying in Asakusa (right next to Kaminarimon). I don't think any of the trains start operating until 5am ... which is not early enough.

I've been researching taking a taxi but, I really have no idea how long it will take to get to the fish market (so when should I leave?) and how much will it cost?
Also, where would I even get a taxi in the area in the very early morning?

I already read the page on Japan-guide.com. Still not sure how to hail a taxi if not at a taxi station (unless there are any open in the area/time I need?). And is the fare easy to read so I know exactly how much to give the driver? If I give too much for the fare, will he have change ... do they keep change? If he doesn't have change, what would happen?

I do not speak Japanese very well. My vocabulary is that of a 1 or 2 year old.
If you can't tell, I don't use taxis often, in any country.

Alternatively; would riding a bike from Asakusa to the market be too long/tiring?

Also, does anyone know what day of the week (when the market is open) would be the best/least busy day to visit? And how are crowds in the end of February?

Thank you!
by Amunet  

Re: Getting to Tsukiji Fish Market 2014/1/19 17:02
If you go on a weekday, I think it should be enough to visit the tuna auction by getting the first train/underground... anyway, if you don't get to see the tuna auctions there's to see & do in Tsukiji fish market, specially having an incredibly good sushi breakfast!!

About the taxi thing... yes, it will be expensive, the fare should be perfectly easy to read and don't worry about the change, your driver should have change and will go great effort to find change if he doesn't have any.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Tsukiji Fish Market 2014/1/19 17:06
By the way, about the bike thing; Tsukiji is about 8 kms. away from Asakusa, it's not an outrageously long route and is completely flat so it should be easy to bike, specially having in count lack of traffic at that time. So, yes, I think is completely doable by bike and actually quite a good idea to get there early enough.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Tsukiji Fish Market 2014/1/19 21:02
Tokyo metro subway is not under operation around 3-4 a.m. You need to catch a taxi to the market.

You can catch a taxi on the street or at taxi stand. Just hands up to catch a taxi. The taxi doesn't stop while the other passenger is on. You can just stand beside the taxi at taxi stand. All taxi in JP automatically open the rear door, so be careful not to be stand closer. You need to sit on the rear seat. If you are a group of 4, one passenger needs to sit on the passenger seat in front.

It will cost you 2,500-3,000 YEN between Asakusa and Tsukiji market. All taxi will charge an additional 20% night fare between 22:00 - 5:00. It takes about 20 mins to Tsukiji.

All taxis in JP have a charged meter that you can read. No advanced negotiation before on board.

I strongly recommend you to ready some 1,000 notes in advance if you use a taxi. You can use 10,000 notes but the most drivers don't like to accept a large amount note because of security reasons. No tip is necessary but you can leave a tip if you like.

You can order a taxi in advance. Ask at the accommodation desk that you need a taxi early in the morning. The service charges you 400 YEN for a taxi order and another 400 YEN for picking up at the time you have ordered, that cost you additional 800 YEN.

Those taxi drivers in Asakusa area know that foreign tourists visit Tsukiji early in the morning so it should work well, just say "Tsukiji-shijo", or write or print "築地市場" and show it to the driver. If you order a taxi in advance, you need to tell the operator where you want to go in advance.

I think you should be there by 3:30 a.m latest(2:30-3 a.m preferred) if you want to see the auction. There are many tourists want to visit the auction. The attendance is competitive throughout a year.

You can bike to Tsukiji but I don't recommend unless you are a frequent Tsukiji commuter. It's still freezing at night in Feb and Mar.
There are many police officers stand and ask you to stop and check your bicycle number especially those bicycle riders at night. It will be nasty experience for you if you caught by police.

There are a large bicycle stand under Tsukiji-shijo station. You are not allowed to park your bicycle at prohibit area(the most area in Tsukiji market is prohibited).

Read these carefully and print if you need.
Tsukiji and the other markets are not tourists spot, it's trading market where a large number of traders work. You need to follow the regulation.
http://www.shijou.metro.tokyo.jp/english/market/tsukiji.html
http://www.shijou.metro.tokyo.jp/pdf/english/tsukijiguide.pdf

Tsukiji market calender is available here.
http://www.shijou.metro.tokyo.jp/calendar/

Tsukiji closes all Sundays, the most of Wednesdays, national holidays, and special days set by the market.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Tsukiji Fish Market 2014/1/22 15:04
Thank you all for your information!

Tokyo Friend ~ The information you gave is very in depth. Thank you!

I think based off of this information we will most likely pass on visiting until our accomodations are closer to the market. One day we'll do that.

I'll be sure to keep all of this information in mind for the future though.

Again, thank you all!
by Amunet rate this post as useful

reply to this thread