Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/20 05:08
Higashiyama + Ginkakuji - morning/evening

Hi there,

in early April we plan a day tour in Kyoto to Ginkakuji, philosopher's path and then Higashiyama area with the Kyomizudera and it's additional temples.

Where would you suggest to start? Is it nicer to be in Higashiyama in the evening, or on the philosopher's path and the Ginkakuji?

Ginkakuji closes at 17 o'clock, Kyomizudera at 18 o'clock.
by AndreaK  

Re: Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/20 09:27
Thatfs a big day. We avoid going UP hill when possible.
The place to be in the evening is Gion/Pontoncho area.
Personally, I would spend the first part of the day starting at Ginkakuji and walk down the Philophers Path.
Then catch a bus to Kiyomizudera, and walk down Sannenzaka/Ninnenzaka etc and make your way into Gion/Pontoncho.
We really like Honen-in, Shoren-in and Chion-in on the way...and Tenjuan in Kiyomizudera is also not to be missed.
Enjoy!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/20 09:32
Ending at Kiyomizudera might be nice because after that you can stroll the nearby shopping streets of Sannenzaka and Ninenzaka, which open into the evening.
by naes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/20 09:36
btw there are spring illuminations at Kiyomizudera from late March to early April, 18:30 to 21:30.
by naes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/21 03:52
Thanks to all!

@fmj: We will visit (or rather focus) on Gion and Pontocho on another day, so this specific day can be spent on Higshiyama area totally.

You said you'd avoid going up hill - so that means that from south Kiyomizudera to north Shoren-in it is down hill?

@naes: Yeah, late March to early April is just right, that's when we'll be there! :)
by AndreaK rate this post as useful

Tenjuan 2014/1/21 04:07
This is the sign for Tenjuan, but I was at Nanzenji when I took the photo. I have a long lens, but not THAT long. :)

http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v35/p411618838-4.jpg
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/21 05:59
You said you'd avoid going up hill - so that means that from south Kiyomizudera to north Shoren-in it is down hill?]
Yes, the Higashiyama area is 2 hills, Ginkakuji down to Nanzenji, and Kiyomizudera down to Shoren-in (Sanjo dori)

by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama and Ginkakuji 2014/1/21 06:47
Yes, though the hill down to Nanzenji isn't very steep, whereas the hill up to Kiyomizudera can be quite hard work, especially in the heat.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread