Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt. Fuji in October 2014/1/25 16:29
Hi Everyone,
My wife and I will be visiting Japan in October 2014 and I've run across my first (likely of many) question. I have seen a lot of conflicting information about climbing Mount Fuji in the shoulder seasons. I would be able to climb between the 8th and 10th of October, is this even possible? Is the mountain "closed" or is it just less accessible through public transport? Any help would be great, thanks!
by Brian (guest)  

Re: Mt. Fuji in October 2014/1/26 11:29
October is not shoulder season. It is off-season.

The mountain is closed, and no facilities are open beyond the 5th Station. Kawaguchiko 5th Station is still served by public transportation, though.

Temperatures and wind conditions can be extreme on the mountain. There could also be snow around the summit already.

It seems that some people still climb the mountain in the off season. I hear that you are supposed to report to the police before doing so.

Several dozen climbers per year die on Mount Fuji. Mostly during the season when the mountain is covered by snow.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Mt. Fuji in October 2014/1/26 18:55
Mt Fuji climbing season for public is between 1st July and 26th August. Some huts still open until end of August.

Public transports are limited after 26th August due to the official closing on Mt Fuji climbing season. All trails are officially closed.
You can ignore the "CLOSED" sign for climbing on your own responsibility.

Mt climbing season for public is 60-65 days in a year.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Mt. Fuji in October 2014/1/26 20:56
I'm sure you will have more fun when you where in Japan especially when you are travelling in Mt Fuji. Enjoy your vacation.
by Mnbv1234 rate this post as useful

Re: Mt. Fuji in October 2014/1/26 22:54
The first week of September is usually still OK. The season is officially over but the facilities are still open.
October though is long past everything is shut.
It can probably be done if you're an experienced mountanier however. As said its dangerous and you need to tell the authorities though.
by takedasghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt. Fuji in October 2014/1/27 21:23
As Tokyo Friend has mentioned, there will be signs at the trail head saying that the trail is closed. This just means that there is no emergency evacuation readily available and if you are going to climb, do so at your own risk. I have guided on Mt. Fuji in October for the past 3 years. The past two years it has snowed towards the end of October, but up until it snows, the climb is the same as it would be in July/August, except that it is of course a lot colder.

Still if you climb during the day, it doesn't usually get much colder than below freezing, as long as your hiking on a nice day. And by the way, there is one mountain hut open on the Subashiri trail 'Taiyokan' which is open until October 15.
by FujiGuide rate this post as useful

reply to this thread