Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel Osaka-Takayama and Takayama-Tokyo 2014/1/26 16:32
Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to Japan this April and would like some advises about travel method between Osaka-Takayama and Takayama-Tokyo.

On 13 april 2014, I will be travelling from Osaka to Takayama leaving in the morning (preferred arrival time is by 12pm). I've looked up some info about the bus, but the Nohi Bus would require booking by phone (which is inconvenient as I don't live in Japan and cannot speak Japanese) and Kintetsu Bus only has website in Japanese.

And on 14 april 2014, I will be travelling from Takayama to Tokyo, leaving late afternoon around 4pm (don't mind arriving at tokyo at late night). I still can't find a good bus/train booking website for this.

Could anyone please help suggest which method of transportation would be best for my trip? (and in case I use JR Pass, would it be more convenient to travel between Osaka-Takayama and Takayama-Tokyo by train instead?)

Thank you very much for your answers!
by SimpsKwan  

Re: Travel Osaka-Takayama and Takayama-Tokyo 2014/1/26 16:46
The fact that you visit during the Takayama Festival does not help.

I personally recommend to travel by train. You can make seat reservations as soon as you arrive in Japan, by which time that should still be possible. After all, you travel to Takayama one day before the festival and leave just a few hours after the festival has started. So, I don't think that trains will be extremely crowded during these timings. And even if you were unable to make seat reservations, you could still try to get a seat in the non-reserved cars.

I don't recommend bus travel because of the longer travel times and the inconvenient reservation methods.

If you do some other long-distance train rides during your visit, a Japan Rail Pass may be a good offer.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread