Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/15 22:14
Hi All,

hows the exchange rate (USD to Yen) at Haneda Airport money changer? are they normal or overrated? i know most money changer at Airport has bad exchange rate.

can you recommend good place to exchange USD into yen at around shinjuku? i'll stay at Kadoya hotel which is very close to shinjuku station west exit

thanks!
by sandymc  

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/16 18:34
I usually exchange at the airport, because unlike most countries I've been to, the airport provides about the best rate. Narita's site offers the current exchange rate, but Haneda's doesn't.

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html

But in your case, if you're bringing your currency, I'd suggest changing it to US Dollars in your country to get a better rate, as you may have trouble exchanging your local currency. Many places may not want to deal with your currency.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/17 02:57
most of the time i would say in your own country. but it depends on your location. A lot of people say change at airport because they offer a good rate, but in my case UK pound - i get almost 10% better at home.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/17 11:55
For USD it is usually better to exchange in Japan rather than in the US. The airports tend to have some of the better rates, but you'll also get similar rates by doing cash withdrawals at the postal or 711 atms directly from your US account. Alternatively, exchanging USD travelers checks at your hotel is also relatively cost effective.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/17 12:14
The hotel I once stayed at was offering 5 yen less per USDollar than Narita was for exchanging T/C. And it was a Prince hotel, so it wasn't a small operator.

The OP is from Indonesia, so that's why I suggested buying USD there and then exchanging it for yen in Japan. It may be hard to buy yen in Jakarta, I don't know, but I bet you can buy USDollars there. All I know is that if it's not posted on the Narita site, your currency has a high probability of being "toxic" to the Japanese bank and not attractive to them.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/17 13:19
Japan is different from Indonesia in foreign currency exchange market. private exchange dealers are a very few in Japan. therefore, banks are your choice to exchange. handling charge is about 3 yen/dollar for each direction. there are not much differences among airports and central city areas.
if the rate is 100yen/USD, it is 97yen/USD from USD to JPY, and it is 103yen/USD from JPY to USD.
Hotels offer worse exchange rate, because they finally exchange USD to Yen in banks.
I heard that we can use Japanese Yen in Indonesia. There should be private exchange dealers between Rupiah and Yen in Indonesia. I think it is better to exchange directly your money to Yen in Indonesia.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/18 01:41
Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the helpful review.
I think i'll exchange at my country and bring some USD for extra cash ;)
by sandymc rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/18 09:21
USD travelers checks give better exchange rates than US cash at banks
by frenchosa rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/18 10:10
But using an ATM in Japan may be cheapest of all.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2013/06/changing-us-dollars-into-...
by rpcman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/19 03:35
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange Rate at Haneda Airport 2014/2/19 09:03
i've got my YEN :). the rate exchange was good because dollar is weakened.
by sandymc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread