Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamikochi opening date 2014/3/1 05:07
Hi,

I was told by a travel agent that this year Kamichochi is scheduled to be open on April 26, while japan-guide.com
says April 18th.

Which date is the correct way ?

What is the best way to arrive to KamiKochi from Takayama ?

It this reasonable to plan a one day trip from Takayama to KomiKochi and back to Takayama at the same day ?

Many thanks,
Ilan
by Ilan (guest)  

Re: Kamikochi opening date 2014/3/1 13:12
The road to Kamikochi is opened on the 18th (that's when buses start running and hotels start operating), while the "mountain opening festival" is held on April 27.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi opening date 2014/3/1 21:31
Thank you for the quick replay.

Does that mean that the national park is open as of April 18th ? Are the trail open for tourists?

Many thanks,

Ilan
by Ilan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi opening date 2014/3/2 10:25
The national park never closes. You are free to enter at any time of the year.

But the road to Kamikochi is closed until April 18, which means that you won't be able to reach Kamikochi by bus or taxi until April 18. You would have to walk if you visited before April 18.

Trails down in the valley are likely to be clear of snow and passable. The ones leading up to the higher surrounding mountains will still be snow covered and impassable without appropriate mountaineering equipment.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi opening date 2014/3/5 18:46
Would there be snow in Kamikochi in late May? Or is that too late?
by RLDarling rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi opening date 2014/3/8 18:26
I would like to visit kamikochi from hirayu onsen. How do I get there if the buses have not started operating? Could someone kindly enlighten please?
by Spellweaver (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread