Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 08:16
Hey guys,

My father and I will be visiting Japan next week, and the both of us were both curious if waking up ridiculously early to go see the Tsukiji Fish Market auctions were worth it. Neither of us speak Japanese, so we likely wouldn't be able to understand it. Is it overrated or is it a must see tourist attraction of Tokyo?

Thanks.
by Katie42997 (guest)  

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 08:30
It widely differs between people. Some think Tsukiji was the highlight of their Japan trips. Others don't think it was worth the effort. Still others feel uncomfortable because they feel they obstruct business at the market. And on busy days many arrive too late for the limited number of people who can see the auction each day.

Language, however, won't be the problem. Even Japanese people do not understand what the people at the auction are yelling and signaling to each other.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 08:53
I visited the market twice back in 2008, I think it was definitely worth waking up early. The tuna auction is a great and totally incomprehensible part of the market, as is the amount of activity in the early morning (even when avoiding the speeding lorries can be a hassle...).

However, as I understood a lot of things have changed over the last few years, and I haven't been to the market since. There's only a limited number of visitors allowed at the tuna auction, and it seems like large parts of the market are now off limits for tourist during the early hours. So I guess it won't be the same great experience as before.
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 09:37
Absolutely worth it, definitely the highlight of my (current) trip to Japan. Unlike anything you could ever see at home (I'm from the US), and the level of activity is astounding. I would recommend combining the market with a late night out at Golden Gai, we left at 4am on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning and got to the auction in time to be in the first group.
by Andrew (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 15:25
I would be more interested in the restaurants that the Tuna Auction.
by CL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 16:01
ive been to Japan twice and never consider Tsukiji. Its just not something that appeals to me. I dont see the joy in visiting something akin to a fish market even if the scale and activity is times by 100.
Its smelly and the floors are slimy. You have to wake up at stupid O clock, you are obstructing peoples normal lives.
To get a better idea, I would suggest you check Youtube for some kind of gist of the place.
by MayMay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 16:30
We went to the fish market, but not the tuna auction and remember it as our worst experience in Japan. We felt in the way and my girlfriend almost got hit twice by those buggy car things. The people there are very unwelcoming and made us feel like dumb gaijin tourists. Most people told us not to take photos. I saw tourist having fun and laughing and touching the fish. Guess they will remember having a good time but oblivious to the fact how bad they made other tourist look.

We did enjoy the shops surrounding the fish market and the sushi restaurants but not the actual centre fish market. And I do have a fond memory of buying a small tray of uni and going to a local Lawsons to get a microwave bowl of rice. Delicious breakfast :)
by Obake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/7 19:08
Tsukiji is first and foremost a place of commerce, so I can certainly understand why the people working there have little patience with the tourists who stand around gawking and obstructing traffic. Supposed the replacement for Tsukiji will include a viewing gallery for the tuna auction which should improve things greatly.

If you've never been to a fishmarket or have only seen fish in a supermarket, Tsukiji is eye opening, especially for the variety of fish and sea creatures as well as the price of some of those items.
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/23 15:38
I went there on my first trip to Japan many years ago.
Worthy and would recommend it for those who have not seen it.
Though I would not do it again simply because of the early hours; do cherish my sleep a lot.
Even if you are not interested in markets etc., at least you can tick it off your list.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/23 23:04
I'd like to go to Tsukiji, but am unsure whether it's worth the early start & queuing for the auction when I could presumably just walk round the outer market and still see all the different fish & seafood. Does the auction add much?
by Lonegroover rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Tsukiji Fish Market worth it? 2014/3/24 02:45
I'm mostly interested in getting there for sushi o'clock, but you still have to wake up really early, don't you?
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

reply to this thread