Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation around Nara 2014/3/18 19:01
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody can help me out with this:

What is the best way to get from JR Nara station to Todaiji Temple, then Nara Park, then Isuien Garden, and finally Kasuga Grand Shrine?

I understand that the 4 landmarks are in walking distance from each other, so I think I will be walking to the next destination once I reach Todaiji.

Would you advise walking from JR Nara station to Todaiji Temple, taking a bus or taking a cab? How much would the last two options cost?
by Sherry (guest)  

Re: Transportation around Nara 2014/3/18 19:19
What is the best way to get from JR Nara station to Todaiji Temple, then Nara Park, then Isuien Garden, and finally Kasuga Grand Shrine?

I would just walk it, or take a taxi for the first part and then walk the rest. I'd also suggest reordering the visit to Isuien, Todaiji, Nara Park, then Kasuga Shrine to make it more efficient. You can learn more about the layout of Nara here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2165.html

Would you advise walking from JR Nara station to Todaiji Temple, taking a bus or taking a cab?

I'd consider taking a cab. The taxi can't take you all the way to Todaiji, but the farthest it can go is about 2km from JR Nara Station which costs just under 1000 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation around Nara 2014/3/18 19:23
Thanks for your advise. I did intend on going to Insuien first, but later discovered that it only opens at 9, while Todaiji opens at 7.30. I have been reading about people advising to head to Todaiji early, to avoid the crowds.

If I do go to Insuien first, should I take a cab there as well? How much would this cost?
by Sherry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation around Nara 2014/3/19 05:04
It'll cost the same. Essentially the drop off place for everything would be the corner where you walk to Todai-ji, or within a short distance of it. The gardens are nice, but not spectacular - though I've only been in winter.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

kasuga taisha forest 2014/3/23 21:00
There are guides that talk about a "path" leading to the forest, and even about running into some deer. I assume this is also the Kasugayama forest. But I'm confused b/c this site says this area is close. Can anyone please clarify? Thank you.
by lalainec2003 rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation around Nara 2014/3/23 23:25
Hi! When I was in Nara, I simply walked from the station to Todai-ji. Nara is really a great place for walking. On your way you might see some deer http://gaijingojapan.com/walking-in-nara/. You could go either East on sanjo street or the street following the Kinsetsu line.
by pmartineau rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation around Nara 2014/3/24 00:40
I don't visit Todaiji but did take a bus from the bus stop in front of JR Nara Station to Nara Park. 220 yen per person. It's about a 10 mins or so ride.

There was a sign somewhere near the Station that suggested the Park was some 1.4Km away, so that put us off from walking since we were there in winter.
by CL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation around Nara 2014/3/24 10:29
Given your reasoning (the opening times), I think your plan to visit Todaiji before Isuien Garden makes sense.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread