Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tateyama Alpine Route mid-May 2014/3/23 20:09
I intend to travel the entire route (Toyama to Shinano-Omachi) in mid-May (a Monday) and a return trip on the following day.
1) Is an advance reservation recommended for that period ?

2) The online reservation seems to only allow return tickets from Tateyama to Kurobeko.
Is there way I can reserve a return ticket for my route ?

3)Taking that period into consideration, which place is worth stopping over to walk around or enjoy the views ?
Bijodaira, Midagahara, Daikanbo, Kurobedaira ?

4) How many hours would one recommend at Murodo ?

5) Is anything much to see at Kurobe dam since there will be no water discharged then ?

6) Is Shomyo falls worth a detour in mid-May ?
How long is the bus journey between Tateyama and Shomyo-daki stop ?
I assume the waterfall is only a short walk from the bus stop along a proper walking path ?

Just need to know the approximate times that we may need to spend at each places to determine if I should catch the 8am or 9am train from Dentetsu Toyama station.

Thanks in advance.
by lifesucketh  

Re: Tateyama Alpine Route mid-May 2014/3/25 06:20
Hi, I haven't done the whole route but I went twice to the Tateyama Area.

- Kurobedaira offers a nice view but nothing extraordinary. I would perhaps take 30 minutes break there if the weather is nice.

-The Murodo area is more exciting, there are some shorter walks you can do around and the area is gorgeous. It is also the trailhead to Tateyama mountain. I think it took us less than 3 hours to climb and we couldn't see anything because of bad weather (cleared up after our descent!). http://gaijingojapan.com/tateyama-the-sacred-mountain/

-Kurobe Dam is a pretty nice place. A lot of metal stairs to be climbed along the concrete structure of the Dam. One has to cross it anyway to go from the Underground cable-car (Kurobedaira to Kurobeko) to the shuttle bus.
http://gaijingojapan.com/kurobe-dam2/
by pmartineau rate this post as useful

Tateyama Alpine Route mid-May 2014/4/6 20:23
Thanks PM for the links, very scenic indeed.

However, I reckon Murodo area is still relatively full of snow when I am there, hence will leave the walks/hikes to another visit.
Good heads up on the Kurobe dam staircase.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama Alpine Route mid-May 2014/4/12 00:07
I am planning to go in mid May too. May I know how much time do I need to complete the entire route. Say start from Toyama and end at Omachi.
by 3Piggy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama Alpine Route mid-May 2014/4/12 07:47

May I know how much time do I need to complete the entire route. Say start from Toyama and end at Omachi

We did this trip in May several years ago, and it took us about 7 hours in a fairly relax pace.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread