Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teikiken/Commuter Pass Purchase Location 2014/3/29 02:16
Hi Guys,

I'll be moving to Tochigi, Suzumenomiya (next to the station) in a few weeks for my wifes new job. We'll both be moving from Singapore, and I'll be transferring to my company's Tokyo office next to Roppongi Itchome station.

It's a huge commute for me but luckily I only need to be in the office 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday). As part of my journey is on the Shinkansen, it's also an expensive trip, but luckily, I came across the Teikiken or commuter pass.

I've found the perfect route (below) on hyperdia and the price for a one (1) month pass looks great compared to my 'per trip' calculation.

This will be my first time living in Japan and my Japanese is only around the N5 level right now, so I want to prepare myself before I arrive. I would appreciate any advice any of you guys can share on the below:

1. I read that the commuter ticket pricing always includes unlimited round-trips for the period of validity (1 month in my case). Is this true for the price / route below?
2. Am I able to catch the train at any time of the day so long as I follow the same route (same trains, stops, etc.)?
3. Most importantly, and my main reason for posting: Where can I buy a ticket for the below route?

Route No. 1 (106k Yen, 7:22am departure, 1 month commuter pass):

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SUZUMENOMIYA&ar...

Many thanks in advance guys. Apologies for the long winded post but It's always better to provide the context!

Cheers,
Adrian

by Narusaki  

Re: Teikiken/Commuter Pass Purchase Location 2014/3/29 13:10
It is correct in what you found out in hyperdia. However, I think consumption tax because rise from April 1, the price increase is about 3,000 yen per month. You can buy it in some ticket vending machines, or sales office station of JR. The commuter ticket (Teikiken) is a named FREX Teikiken. The rules, it is valid only an unreserved seat. Some of the route your commute, not a JR line, but Roppongi 1-chome from Utsunomiya to Pass can buy one. For loss prevention, you should choose a commuter pass of the IC card-type named Suica FREX Teikiken. Teikiken usual will not be re-issued, but it is possible in the case of IC card.
The timetable of Shinkansen, is slightly different in the weekdays and holidays. Even as he stood in line to go to early in the platform of Utsunomiya Station, there may not sit in the seat you. For many commuters that ride from the station before already.
by passerby168 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teikiken/Commuter Pass Purchase Location 2014/3/30 01:14
I forgot tell the following.
You are advised that before you buy a Teikiken, for your name to be displayed on it, you know the Katakana name. The trouble is that, it is up to 15 characters, if more, the number of characters for the names that can be displayed on the Teikiken can not be fully displayed in alphabetical your name. If you can understand as information of the owner of it by Katakana name, if you lose it, it is convenient to resolve the problem.

Re: Teikiken/Commuter Pass Purchase Location 2014/3/31 23:10
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed response, thanks to you info I was able to find exactly what I was looking for. I've never had to write my surname in katakana, but I think I would write it as どんアトリアン which should be OK.

Thanks again for the wealth of information you have provided.

Adrian

by Narusaki rate this post as useful

Re: Teikiken/Commuter Pass Purchase Location 2014/4/1 00:59
I'm glad to settled your matter.
If you are Adrian, I will write 'エイドリアン' in katakana.
http://japanesetranslator.co.uk/dictionaries/your-name-in-japanese/
http://www.japanese-name-translation.com/

reply to this thread