Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation in Shikoku 2014/3/30 19:55
Konichiwa!

My girlfriend and I are going to spend 17 days in Japan for our honeymoon. As part of the trip, we will go from Kyoto to Kurashiki, then Noashima, then Yusuhara, then Miyajima (Hiroshima), and then back to Osaka from where we'll go on with the rest of our trip.

We plan to buy a rail pass, but I didn't find any information regarding public transport on Shikoku. Is there a website where I could possibly find public transport itineraries between those cities?

Another option would be to rent a car. Although I don't mind driving, from what I've heard it seems to be a very costly option. Plus, the trip are quite long (5 hours for Yusuhara - Miyajima according to Google). Would you advice renting a car? If yes, is there a nice stop between Yusuhara and Miyajima to shorten the trip?

Many thanks!

Guerric
by Guerric (guest)  

Re: Transportation in Shikoku 2014/3/31 08:54
I recommend the following route: Kyoto - (shinkansen) - Kurashiki - (train) - Uno - (ferry) - Naoshima - (ferry) - Takamatsu - (train) - Matsuyama - (rental car) - Yusuhara - (rental car) - Matsuyama - (ferry) - Hiroshima/Miyajima - (shinkansen) - Osaka

I am not sure whether any rail pass would pay off for such an itinerary.

You can look up train schedules and fares here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Basics about car rental:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Shikoku 2014/4/2 20:34
Many thanks for your reply! I think we will add one day to our trip between Yusuhara and Hiroshima, otherwise it would be too long.

Is Matsuyama a city worth visiting? Is there another nice city in the vicinity? Would you have any ryokan / traditional hotel in the region to recommend?

Many thanks!
by Guerric (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread