Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Sakura 2014/4/1 19:59
Hi,

Will be going from April 7 to 12. Saw in http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html that sakura for Tokyo only until April 8.

Does this mean I cannot view them from 8th onwards or will there be places where I can still see them? What places usually bloom later?

Thank you.
by Lester (guest)  

Re: Tokyo Sakura 2014/4/1 22:50
Some double-flowered species of cherries tend to flower later than the one which is most common in Japan (prunus yedoensis, called Somei-yoshino in Japanese).

Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden has various species of cherries flowering usually from February to late April.
https://www.env.go.jp/garden/shinjukugyoen/english/2_guide/access.html
Note: The map of the garden on this webpage is drawn with its south end up.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Sakura 2014/4/1 22:50
Full bloom of cherry blossoms in Tokyo have been announced from the Japan Meteorological Agency on March 30 already this year. The best time to see them might have ended after one week later. However, I think if you go to the suburbs to the north of Tokyo, or location or of some in Tokyo, and it is possible to see.
by passerby168 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Sakura 2014/4/1 23:03
Tokyo District Observatory of Japan Meteorological Agency is using one tree of Somei-yoshino (prunus yedoensis) in central Tokyo for its information on cherry flowering. I presume also Japan Weather Association, which is a source for the japan-guide.com article, is using this species.
If you hope to see blossoms of this most common cherry species in Japan, it may be better visit a northern suburb as is suggested by passerby168.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Sakura 2014/4/2 07:58
Does this mean I cannot view them from 8th onwards or will there be places where I can still see them?

It is just an estimate for "best viewing". Like all forecasts, it could be wrong.

If you are too late for the cherry blossoms in central Tokyo, you should consider some spots in the western suburbs (e.g. Showa Memorial Park) or north of Tokyo (e.g. Saitama or Gunma Prefecture). Or even the Fuji Five Lake region or Mount Takaosan.

I recommend to follow the cherry blossom reports on japan-guide.com or inquire at a local tourist information desk.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread