Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transport for current intinerary 2014/4/1 22:23
Hi
This is my final itinerary for Japan.I would like to know what transport train/bus is suited to this plan. I'm guessing the 14 day rail pass won't pay off, so is it better then to buy tickets separately? If so, which passes would be suitable. Thank you for your help:

16th April - Day 1 - arrive in afternoon Tokyo- accommodation in Tokyo

17th -Day 2 - spend the day exploring the major districts in Tokyo

18th -Day 3 - spend the day exploring the major districts in Tokyo

19th -Day 4 – spend the day exploring the major districts in Tokyo

20th -Day 5 - day trip to Nikko

21st -Day 6 - maybe FujiQ/DisneySea

22nd -Day 7 - leave in the morning to travel to Takayama (shirakawa-go) and then stay overnight

23rd -Day 8 – head to Kyoto in the morning -accommodation in Kyoto - spend day here exploring city

24th -Day 9 – Kyoto - spend day here exploring city

25th -Day 10 – Kyoto - spend day here exploring city

26th -Day 11 – side trip -day trip to Nara

27th -Day 12 – side trip - day trip to Mt Koya (maybe?)

28th- Day 13 – side trip - day trip to Himeji to see the Castle (closed-choose another castle)

29th -Day 14 - Other sights

30th -Day 15 - day trip to Osaka then head back to Kyoto to pick up luggage in the afternoon - head back to Tokyo for our flight at 8pm.

by Sarah N (guest)  

Re: Transport for current intinerary 2014/4/2 14:01
If you take Day 15 as the last day of 7-day JR nation-wide pass, perhaps skip Himeji and travel to Kyoto on the 1st day of the pass, you may hit the break-even point with the added convenience/flexibility of any change along the way on JR network.
by Yet Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transport for current intinerary 2014/4/2 23:36
day trip to Himeji to see the Castle (closed-choose another castle)

A designated area around Himeji Castlefs donjon is scheduled to remain off limits until around March 2015 while the scaffolding and the gantry (for renovation works for its Main Keep) will be removed.

I'm guessing the 14 day rail pass won't pay off

Thatfs correct. A 14-day Japan Rail Pass won't pay off.
From the point of cost-efficiency, using regular tickets for JR legs sounds to be a good choice for your itinerary.
: If you fly out from NRT, you can get issued a JR base-fare ticket valid for 5 consecutive days to travel from Nara via Kyoto to Airport Terminal 2 or Narita Airport.
: If you fly out from HND, you can get issued a JR base-fare ticket valid for 4 consecutive days to travel from Nara via Kyoto to Tokyo.

If you hope to travel to Takayama and to Kyoto both by rail, I presume a 7-day Japan Rail Pass cannot be highly cost-saving unless you cut off a few days and make all the trips to and from central and western Japan within 7 days.

spend day here exploring city

It sounds good to explore Kyoto City before the Golden Week holiday season, which will start on 26 April this year.
Please note that 29 April will be a public holiday; timetables for holidays will apply to most bus and railroad lines.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread