Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/2 05:37
I am already in Kyoto and just learned about the Shimanami Kaido and I am crazy about biking it. I would like to bike the route in two days, starting from April 7th and then head to visit Hiroshima.

I have a train pass and I can do the north-south or south-north route, whichever is best. Starting from the north seems more direct, but it looks like the wind and light conditions favor starting from the south. On the other hand, it seems that the best bikes are available to rent from the north starting point. is this true? What are your views on this?

Also I would have a small backpack with me that is enough for a two day ride, but I would need to store my bigger bag somewhere before starting the tour and retrieve it before going to Hiroshima. Any ideas?

I also kindly accept suggestions of where to stay during the route.

A general plan tackling these details would be very very appreciated. I know the date is already very close but I really only got to know about Shimanami Kaido yesterday. And I still have to enjoy all the beauty of Kyoto (just arrived here)! :-)

Thank you very much for your help!

by Alan (guest)  

Re: Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/2 12:49
Hi Alan
Not sure how much help i'll be as i've never ridden it but i plan to in October.
Have you seen this person's blog of the trip http://www.clevernettle.com/rachabees/2013/01/cycling-the-shimanami-ka...
It might help with a place to stay.
I'm doing it in one day and haven't decided which direction but am favouring S to N because of the winds but being a somewhat leisurely ride, the wind shouldn't be a real issue.
I am forwarding my luggage with kuro neko and taking a change of clothing in a small backpack. As long as you know where you'll be in 2 days then just forward your luggage. See here for more info http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
Do post back your experience or even PM me if it's not too much trouble and let me know of any tips that you wish you'd known before you went ;-)
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/3 05:41
This sounds great, yes please post back on your experience!
by Higgz rate this post as useful

Re: Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/3 14:10
Information was listed on the home page of Onomichi.
http://www.city.onomichi.hiroshima.jp/english/kanko/shimanami/shimanam...
I think I also because I like to ride a bike, and want to travel someday.
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/5 17:42
I did the Shimanami Kaido just a few days ago! It's really scenic and I met plenty of great people.

I started in Onomichi, stayed at a ryokan in Omishima, and then finished it the next day. I underestimated it, though. I'm not sure how people manage the entire route in a day! Then again, we had a late start and had to rush to be at the ryokan in time, plus my sister and I are not used to cycling at all (in other words, we haven't sat on bikes in ages!). I also had a pretty crappy bike. my butt was incredibly sore.

I sent my luggage with the luggage delivery service (Takkyubin) to the hostel I stayed at in Matsuyama, which the hostel staff helped arrange for me, because I was going to be touring Shikoku after. My sister and her fiancé were returning to the mainland, so my sister kept her main luggage in a coin locker in Onomichi Station. Her fiancé rode with his backpack, but he's a fairly regular cyclist and a strong guy! So, there are a few different options depending on your itinerary.

http://www.kancycling.com/Shimanami/Shimanami.html

The above site is also a really useful resource about the route and all the nitty gritty details, including a few pros and cons about starting in the north or south.
by Aether us (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/21 12:32
Hey everyone! I am back from Japan and I did the Shimanami Kaido indeed. It was a fantastic experience.

First of all I would like to thank you all for posting your tips and links, which were of great help.

I will try to help writing about my experience. Please feel free to ask more specific questions, I will try to answer them.

- We did the North-South route.

- As I stated earlier, the Shimanami Kaido was a (welcome) modification in our original travel plans. Instead of going to the original destination for the day, we booked one night at Urbain Executive Hiroshima Hotel, which is near the train station. Since we were coming back to the same hotel two days later to visit Hiroshima they gently let us leave our bags at the hotel, so we didn't have to spend with lockers or with luggage forwarding. We left early on the following morning and got the train to Onomichi.

- We managed to arrive early in Onomichi (around 09:XX). The bike rental is close to the station. Here is the location in Google Maps (you can see the bikes in street view): https://goo.gl/maps/zMB8r

- I expected worse bikes. Sure, there were the pretty basic ones, but there were very decent mountain bikes with a lot of gears. Out of curiosity I chose a Bridgestone Ordina with road tires, belt and a Shimano Nexus 8 internal gear set. Good bike.

- We followed the (official) recommendation to skip the first bridge and used the ferry to get to Mukaishima. It's really cheap and close to the bike rental. It's a short trip, too.

- The route is indeed very safe and has really picturesque spots. Sometimes it was a little difficult to decide whether to keep the pace or to stop for some photos. :-)

- As planned, we carried only a change of clothes. The islands have good resources, so you can always count on finding a public restroom and a Lawson or automatic vending machine to buy some food and water. :-)

- We booked one night at Setoda Private Hostel (http://ww7.enjoy.ne.jp/~ymdymd777/eshimanami.html), in Ikuchi Island. We chose it because it's located fairly in the middle of the route and there were some references on the web.

- Setoda Private Hostel probably has seen better days. You can see the place isn't renovated for a long time already. But most importantly, the room (with a nice view front view to Sunset Beach), futons and blankets were clean. The toilet, unfortunately, could be better. The place is family owned, you can choose to also have dinner and breakfast there. The meals were traditional and good.

- But the highlight is the onsen. Contrasting with the rest of the facilities, it looks new, and in fact it's very nice, with rocks and everything. The owner let us bath there after the dinner and it was a great and relaxing experience after a day of cycling.

- I recommend spending two days on route so you can experience everything at a more leisurely pace. If you only have one day maybe it's a good idea to catch a ferry to Ikuchi Island and start cycling from there. I say this because the second half of the route is definitely more beautiful (the first one has some industrial installations) and the bridges are more impressive.

- For the same reason I recommend doing the N-S route, so you can leave the best to the end. :-)

- We in fact had some opposing wind, but I really wouldn't change the direction with this in mind. When cycling the wind always seems to be against you anyway. :-)

- It's really near impossible to get lost. There are signs everywhere along the route.

- The route as whole is, in short, awesome. I've never seen this kind of care with cyclists. The bike slopes are always gentle, there are bike exclusive access ramps... it's amazing. Kudos for all the involved in this project.

- The final bridge from Oshima Island to Imabari is really amazing.

- I can't stress enough that you make this tour in good weather. Otherwise you won't be able to really appreciate what the route has to offer. We found the weather forecast to be very accurate while in Japan, so maybe use this in you favor. We were lucky and had good weather, especially on the second day.

- I've seen a lot of references about using buses to resume the trip after completing the Shimanami Kaido, but we decided to use the train since we had JR passes. Fortunately there's a bike rental/return point close to the Imabari train station. You will have to cycle around 20-30 minutes more after crossing the bridge. Here's an approximate location using Google Maps. I think they haven't built it yet at the time Google mapped the Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/LinPI

- Then we got a train back to Hiroshima and resumed our Japan trip. :-)

Wow, long text. But as I said, feel free to ask questions if you think I can be of any help. Thanks!
by Alan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Biking the Shimanami Kaido - a plan 2014/4/22 03:56
Awesome. Thanks for sharing that, definitely checking this out nest time I'm in Japan.
by Higgz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread