Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

online train ticket and booking 2014/4/2 18:11
I am travelling from Osaka to Tokyo by using shinkansen. Can I buy the ticket online and reserve the seat because I'm going there during Golden Week.
by SuperSun (guest)  

Re: online train ticket and booking 2014/4/2 19:13
It is only possible online in Japanese. And a Japanese address and possibly credit card may be required:
https://www.jr-odekake.net/goyoyaku/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: online train ticket and booking 2014/4/2 22:10
I'm going there during Golden Week.

I just checked online vacancy during 26 April - 2 May 2014 from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo in Shinkansen trains, and found that almost all the trains had vacant seats to be reserved, except only one Hikari train in the night of 26 April.
I assume many travelers will make seat reservation on Shinkansen, if they hope to, when the boarding date approaches.

Every train on Tokaido Shinkansen (connecting Shin-Osaka and Tokyo, operated by JR-Central) has cars of seats which are not to be reserved, regardless of whether it run as a Nozomi, Hikari or Kodama.
I suppose there may well be many passengers who choose a Shinkansen ride without seat reservation, unless or even if non-reservation cars are packed.

Can I buy the ticket online and reserve the seat?

JR-Central and JR-West are offering an online reservation system (in Japanese language), which requires payment on credit.
JR-West is offering an online reservation system (in Japanese language, nicknamed as e5489 ("ii-goyoyaku")) and a phone reservation system (nicknamed as 5489 ("goyoyaku")),
but regarding reservation on Tokaido Shinkansen (of JR-Central), these two systems require payment on credit.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread