Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel to Japan 2014/4/4 12:25
SO... i decided to make a trip to Japan merely to see the place for myself.

I am not so well versed in the culture, language, or pretty much anything else....

SO you may ask why: I wanted to when i was younger and i figured traveling to japan would be something of intrigue. (Essentially what is it like to be Illiterate and incapable of speech)

I am an IT Network administrator that works at a 501 (c) 3 non profit that helps the Mentally handicapped and part of this is a social experiment to see how it feels to be in some of our lower functioning clients shoes. Feel their frustrations, Understand their plight, and possibly gain insight into how to help them.

Now my trip isn't completely altruistic, I of course wish to enjoy part of my trip as well as a birthday present to myself.

BUT... there are some details i need to work out: Public transit being one of my primary issues. I know that the train stations typically do not run after midnight and this will cause some minor issues only in as much as how to get back to my hotel.

What are some tips for traveling later in the night when the trains stop running? I will be in Tokyo (i figured an international city would be best in case i got hopelessly lost)
by Vitreal  

Re: Travel to Japan 2014/4/4 17:19
Hi Vitreal, I hope this post will help you on how to plan a free & easy trip to Japan.

http://www.whenshetravelstheworld.blogspot.sg/2014/02/how-to-plan-free...
by wenwen0614 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Japan 2014/4/4 22:18
So i guess part of the experiment is to stay out after the trains stop? Intereesting.

Usually that problem is solved by staying in the neighborhood where you are planning on going out. The other option, often employed by locals, is to stay out until the trains start running again in the morning.

You should be more specific with your questions. Otherwise, people will give you too much advice and your experiment will be ruined!
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Japan 2014/4/5 01:13
Vitreal,
Very perplexing thread without any head or tail.
What sort of social experiment requires norturnal activity past midnight even in your home coyntry?
You are unfamiliar with the Japanese scoiety. culture and language and yet you want to do a study - how are you going to commmunicate with the people you are interested in?
A handicapped person doesn't roam the street at will on his own at night for his safety.
by Yet Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Japan 2014/4/5 06:43
I didn't give more details because i didn't feel they were pertinent to the current question...

I guess i could have forgone all the details and just asked: How does one get around after 12...

There are certain situations and scenarios where this could be a problem as of current and i do AT least need a safety net.

Sorry for the confusion. Chicago Mike had the situation pegged essentially.

What is the easiest way to call a taxi and get home with the language barrier?

What are some areas i should avoid in Tokyo... Considering major metros in the US. There are always places one would not exactly want to wander.

And i actually know a little bit about the culture. But i am trying not to contaminate the initial experiment with too much prior knowledge. I understand that i will never actually have a 100% genuine experience, but in essence it will help with insight and understanding.
by Vitreal rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Japan 2014/4/5 13:36
Your so-called social study of subculture in partcular with reference to the handicapped(whether physical, mental or spiritual) is just a red herring or a camouflage.
Ask yourself a simple Q:
What type of people are active after midnight?
Certainly not the fishmongers at that world-famous fish market nor the homeless that camp down for the night and brook no busybodies seeking enlightenment.
what remains after you eliminate all these?
Your guess is as good as mine.

As a wise guy once said
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Some or all the info you seek(travel-related) is available - just search and you wil find.
by Yet Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Japan 2014/4/7 23:13
Calling a taxi company in English won't fly. Just hail a cab. Showing the taxi driver a business card or otherwise printed phone number and address of your hotel will work nicely.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread