Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 12:58
Hello

I will be travelling to Osaka from Tokyo on 1 June. I am thinking of stopping at Kyoto to visit Aarashyima. If I leave Tokyo via the shinkansen, I should arrive at Kyoto station around noon.

1. Are there restaurants/food in Kyoto station itself before we proceed to Aarashiyama?
2. I am thinking of taking the sagano scenic trainride. Would the train ride pass through the bamboo forest?
3. Would it be achievable to walk through the bamboo forest and then take the train ride back? We are 4 adults (1 elderly) with 2 young children. I understand that there are little shops and eateries there. Is it possible for us to take a slow walk to check out the shops along the way and probably stop for tea? I would really like to visit the bamboo forest.
4. Our accommodation is in Osaka. At the latest, what time should we leave in order to arrive in Osaka before it gets dark?

Thank you in advance.
by c0c0 (guest)  

Re: Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 14:53
Hello
I will be travelling to Osaka from Tokyo on 1 June. I am thinking of stopping at Kyoto to visit Aarashyima. If I leave Tokyo via the shinkansen, I should arrive at Kyoto station around noon.

1. Are there restaurants/food in Kyoto station itself before we proceed to Aarashiyama? YES, PLENTY. BUT THERE ARE ALSO PLENTY AT ARASHIYAMA AND IT IS A NICER AREA
2. I am thinking of taking the sagano scenic trainride. Would the train ride pass through the bamboo forest? I DONT THINK SO, BUT I HAVENT TAKEN IT
3. Would it be achievable to walk through the bamboo forest and then take the train ride back? We are 4 adults (1 elderly) with 2 young children. YES
I understand that there are little shops and eateries there. Is it possible for us to take a slow walk to check out the shops along the way and probably stop for tea? I would really like to visit the bamboo forest.YES YOU COULD. THE MORE FAMOUS PART OF THE FOREST IS UP TOWARD SAGANO AND IT IS A LITTLE HILLY AND A HARDER WALK, BUT IT IS WORTH IT.
4. Our accommodation is in Osaka. At the latest, what time should we leave in order to arrive in Osaka before it gets dark? JUNE IS SUMMER-ISH, SO I THINK YOU'D BE FINE LEAVING AFTER 5PM OR MAYBE A LITTLE LATER.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 15:10
by CL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 15:43
Hello

‡@In the premises of Kyoto Station, you can eat Sushi and soba etcc.
JR HP«
http://www.asty-kyoto.co.jp/kyoto/index.html

‡ABamboo forest does not go by the truck train.
SAGANO ROMANTIC TRAIN HP«
http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/brochure/english.pdf
http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/gallery.html

‡BThe going takes a train from Torokko-Saga Station and you get off at Torokko-Arashiyama Station.
To return and take a walk through bamboo forest and can go to Torokko-Saga Station.
If with elderly people, a slope is relatively gentle and is comfortable when you walk through bamboo forest to Torokko-Saga Station from Torokko-Arashiyama Station.

The time required(Through Takebayashi)
It takes approximately 20 minutes on foot from Torokko-Arashiyama Station to Torokko-Saga Station.

‡CDarken at about 19:00 in June.
Because it takes approximately one hour from Arashiyama to Osaka, it is necessary to leave Arashiyama at 18:00.

I am hoping that it will be a good trip!!

by saran shoko rate this post as useful

Re: Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 15:53
Thank you Lazy Pious and CL for the details. Considering 1 June is a Sunday, would it likely be crowded in the afternoon? Or is June considered a quieter season?
by c0c0 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 17:21
Thanks saran shoko.

Those are very useful information.
by c0c0 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is half-day Arashiyama feasible? 2014/4/8 20:35
I think a Sunday is always going to be busy. It is usually pretty crowded with Japanese, but I always like seeing Japanese having fun, so even though it is a little less convenient, it would be worth it.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread