Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/13 21:14
Hi,

My trip to Japan is due next May, on May 7th, and after my private trip to Japan, I will go to Japan again next autumn with a BIG family, maybe 25 people.

This party consists a lot of elder people that may not suit to travel by train with many connections, so I plan to rent a bus.
My question is :
- Is it doable ? I mean, from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko, next to Matsumoto, and taking the Alpine route, and hit Kanazawa, after that, going to Kyoto. Is it doable with one bus company or we must use another bus company ?
- I researched and I found this :
http://www.tokyotomo.com/list_rentacar.htm
It's a big list, but a lot of links only Japanese, any other reoommendation, especially in English ?

On my private trip, I plan to "meet" the bus company first, I prefer in Tokyo, or Osaka, so the next autumn when I bring my family, It's all settled. I welcome any suggestions or anyone has ever using this bus charter service.

Thank you
by Hanhanid  

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/14 09:29
If it were me, I'd probably try to make arrangements thru Japan Travel Bureau (JTB) and let them take care of everything: hotels, airfare, luggage handling and ground transportation.
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/14 10:25
Thanks for your reply.

JTB seems like a ground tour.I'll consider that. Anyone else know about the bus rental only ?

Thanks
by Hanhanid rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/14 12:34
What a coincidence, I'm in the process of arranging something very similar for a group of 17 people. In fact, we just made our bus booking yesterday.

Basically, there's so many options and customization that it depends a lot on your needs so you'll need to get quotes for your specific itinerary. But here's what I've found through the process, hopefully it helps:

- Is it doable ? I mean, from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko, next to Matsumoto, and taking the Alpine route, and hit Kanazawa, after that, going to Kyoto. Is it doable with one bus company or we must use another bus company ?

Yes, and it is probably easiest and cheapest to do it with one bus company. You could arrange to have one pick you up in Tokyo and then take you the whole way round to Kyoto and back if necessary. If you arrange everything yourself you can get a bus and driver for around 40,000-60,000 yen per day including insurance, but not including fuel and tolls. Guides cost additional, and I think you have to pay the driver and guide's accommodation/food in addition to the daily rate.

- I researched and I found this :
http://www.tokyotomo.com/list_rentacar.htm
It's a big list, but a lot of links only Japanese, any other reoommendation, especially in English ?

I found several companies that arrange these things in English, but there is a pretty steep penalty of around 25-50% for English bus services. Unless you speak Japanese well and don't mind spending a lot of time on the phone, I would strongly consider getting the whole thing arranged via a travel agent. They might be able to get you a better per person rate as they can include hotels, transportation and sightseeing into one package and get you group rates.

One big takeaway that I had was that making plans for a large group is quite a bit different than making personal trip plans. A lot of the websites and tools that are out there are not really optimized for groups larger than 10-15, and things get a lot easier if you can call the company/hotels directly.

On my private trip, I plan to "meet" the bus company first, I prefer in Tokyo, or Osaka, so the next autumn when I bring my family, It's all settled. I welcome any suggestions or anyone has ever using this bus charter service.

I don't really see the need for that, its easy enough to do everything over the phone and internet.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/14 13:46
Wow.. What a coincidence !

Can you tell which one you pick ?

40.000 - 60.000 / day right ? I opened this site : http://skybus.co.jp/en/bus-hire/

They stated it includes fuel too, do you know how much does fuel cost for a day ? just approx

There's some other sites too, now i'm contacting each of them.

Thanks

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/14 16:00
Can you tell which one you pick ?

We are renting the bus only (one of our group is licensed to drive buses in Japan) so we went with a small outfit out of Saitama called Wells, via this site:

http://www.microbus-rentacar.jp/

40.000 - 60.000 / day right ? I opened this site : http://skybus.co.jp/en/bus-hire/

That is a rough estimate assuming you only need the bus and a driver. Add in an english speaking guide and accommodation and you're looking upwards of 100000 yen per day.

I also came across skybus in my research, but counted them out as outside our budget. Note that they don't list buses big enough to fit your party.

They stated it includes fuel too, do you know how much does fuel cost for a day ? just approx

Fuel and tolls are relatively small, but it depends a lot on how far you are driving each day.

There's some other sites too, now i'm contacting each of them.

Good luck!

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/15 11:39
wew. Lucky you, and I assume you have someone fluently speaking Japanese too, right ?

Some of the companies replied me, but most of them didn't, maybe they don't understand English :(

So I think I'd like to meet with them directly when I go to Tokyo next May.

Hmm.. and what about food ? Do you have any recommendation ? If it just me as a couple I know where to get my food, but with a group, Do they cater ? I think most group ending with eating buffet-like food, but I don't know where in Tokyo / Osaka places like that, Any idea ?

Thanks

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/15 14:58
I know you don't listen the advice to consult Japanese travel agencies. If you are NOT familiar about Japan and you can't speak Japanese, I highly recommend to consult Japanese travel agencies, as advised by mm. If you do so, they will arrange you everything, from the arrival to the departure. A total cost may not be much different. And you may not necessary to come Japan in May.
generally, Japanese will not plan these kind fo Journey by themselves, and will consult travel agencies nearly in all cases.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/15 15:58
Your country drivers license(any type) invalid in Japan.

Not "rent"
"charter(with a driver)" bus recommend.
http://www.forestbus.jp/english/no30.html
by SHDe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Bus in Japan 2014/4/21 16:53
wew. Lucky you, and I assume you have someone fluently speaking Japanese too, right ?

Yes, my wife is making the difficult reservations ;)

Some of the companies replied me, but most of them didn't, maybe they don't understand English :(

I wouldn't expect a high percentage of replies if you inquired in English.

So I think I'd like to meet with them directly when I go to Tokyo next May.

I wouldn't bother. If you can't do it over email or over the phone then there isn't really anything gained by visiting them.

Hmm.. and what about food ? Do you have any recommendation ? If it just me as a couple I know where to get my food, but with a group, Do they cater ?

Who is they? Restaurants can handle large groups such as yours if you make a reservation. Hotels often have plans that include meals.

I think most group ending with eating buffet-like food, but I don't know where in Tokyo / Osaka places like that, Any idea ?

Breakfast is almost certainly at the hotel. For dinner you will need to make reservations.

Again, I would seriously consider going through a travel agent. They will be able to set everything up for you, and probably for cheaper than you could do it yourself.

reply to this thread