Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

bank with tourist visa 2014/4/15 20:03
my spouse visa will be processed soon and its cleared as ok, but it will take a month or so, what simple bank can i get make for a simple debit card or such so i can have deposits made & withdrawls
by andrew568  

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 10:55
You need a residential certificate(Jumin-hyo) or the national health card which your physical address in JP is printed from your local city office to open an account at banks.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 15:10
even with a tourist visa i can get this? for example i live in kakubunji so i can get it there? city hall?
by andrew568 rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 17:12
For foreigner, bank usually require a resident card. As a holder of temporary residence status, you can't get a resident card and you can't get put on a juminhyo yet, or pay into national health insurance. You can get all these once your spouse status is approved.
Congrats on the marriage by the way.
Where is Kakubunji?
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 17:56
I think Kokubunji is meant here.
by Olaf san rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 18:35
ok so, is there any options at all as far as creating a bank with a passport or such or does all banks require resident card, it will take a month or less until approved but i dont know if my company will wait for that.

thanks for corrections and thank you for the cheers

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 20:34
In a nutshell, you CAN NOT open a bank account as a tourist.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 21:52
I think it is a regulation to prevent illegal usage of bank accounts. a similar rule will be applied in US too.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/16 22:43
Hey, the Bunj is quiet, but a bit harsh to call it kak.

There are ways and means for non-residents to get J bank accounts, but they don't apply for ordinary bank accounts for ordinary people. Since the change in the foreign registration act, it is deliberately impossible for a tourist to get a bank account. Not sure what you mean by your company, as you can't work on a tourist status, but why can't you just use your wife's account?
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/17 13:07
hey shippy, thanks for the postive reply i asked the company and they said they needed my personal one. unfortunately is there is alternative i guess its just a matter of waiting.

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/17 13:19
Just tell them you're a traditional Japanese husband and your wife holds all the finances and gives you pocket money!

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/17 15:27
if you work with a tourist visa, you violate the immigration law. if the office knows this, your future spouse visa might be cancelled.
if a company hires you, your first working day will be reported to zeimu-sho (IRS in US) at the end of the year. So, you will leave the unwanted record at the government office.

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/17 15:43
ken,
As far I as could read from the original post, the original poster IS converting the status to "spouse," and I believe the future employer is waiting for that to be processed, and also for the bank account to be ready, for the start of the employment.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/18 16:34
guest your reply, it was completely right on that 100% currently processing and employer really wants me to start soon but without proper bank account in MY name, i feel stuck in a hole until everything is finished.
by andrew568 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/18 17:35
processing means not yet accomplished. soon means near future, not now. you can't work right now. Japanese companies pay salaries with about ONE MONTH DELAY. they will wait your bank information at most until an ACTUAL payment occurs. It is popular that most of Japanese people show their bank account information to their companies after they start working. nothing is problems, if you process LEGALLY.

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/19 02:49
@andrew568

Regardless of whether you were to open a bank account now or not, you can't start working until you receive your spouse visa. Working on a tourist visa is illegal.
So seeing as you can't work before you get your spouse visa, and can't open a bank account before you get your spouse visa, what is the big deal? Once you get the visa, you can open your bank account and start working. It's not like they will pay you the day you start working anyway.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/19 11:58
ken,
I believe that the original poster is NOT working NOW, but that he/she is waiting for the visa process to be completed so that he can start work when he gets the visa.
I think it is rude to assume that he is doing/trying to do something illegally, without reading his post carefully.

To "guest (guest)," he is waiting for the visa to be ready so he can start work, he will not start work any earlier.

Japanese employers tend to want all the paperwork done in advance (because locals can simply open bank accounts easily, it is like part of their personal background information), regardless of when the actual payment happens.

To the original poster,
Sorry to hear of the situation, but you will need to wait...
by ... (the same guest) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/19 15:19
It does sound a bit odd. Never had to supply banking details before starting work in Japan. And not come across a company that demands a bank account in your own name.

Re: bank with tourist visa 2014/4/19 17:38
What date are any visa issued on ?
for example, if someone applied visa on Jan.1, and it takes for 3 months. the immigration office issues visa effective from Jan. 1, or from April 1. I think they issue visa effective from April 1, because it is a regular Japanese-style paperwork. do I misunderstand it ?

Mr.Shippy,
it is popular that the company demands his/her own account. if the company pay another person's account, who is the receiver of the payment ? it is very unclear. the tax office will be suspicious for the company's money handling system. So, big companies generally don't do that.
a typical salary payment is like that:
salary term is from Jan.1 to Jan. 31. they calculate payments, and deduct national tax,etc., and pay salary on Feb 20. they pay total amount national tax, deducted during Feb., to the government until March 10. If not paying the national tax, they will have penalty from the government. they want to fix a total amount of salary payment as soon as possible.(they want to pay all salary).
So, once hired they will hurry up to get account information. not hired, Never hurry up.

reply to this thread