Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Self Drive Hokkaido (6 - 20 Jun 2014) 2014/4/16 18:01
My wife and I will be in Sapporo late afternoon on 6 Jun, and taking the plane back to Singapore on 20 Jun, from Chitose via Narita. Nett 13 days worth to sightsee in a rented Honda Fit.

Concept of the itinerary is more of the countryside stuff (flower farms, leisurely walks, etc) and the sea coast, less of the city. Hence, we intend to dedicate :
(1) 6 days for Furano/Biei/Asahikawa/Sounkyo Valley, including a trip to Unkai Terrace (many thanks to William5's advice on this matter);
(2) 3 days in Abashiri/Shiretoko;
(3) 4 days in Sapporo City/Otaru.

My queries are these:
(a) for the best foliage and flower viewing, should we leave (1) to the later part of our itinerary or is it the earlier we visit the flower farms, the better?;
(b) are the flowers in Takinuoe and Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park still in bloom? If yes, we'll try to include them on our way to Abashiri;
(c) day bathing at onsens in Furano. Any recommendations, especially those with great views of the mountains?

Greatly appreciate the advice of fellow travelers/Japan experts.
by diytraveller  

Re: Self Drive Hokkaido (6 - 20 Jun 2014) 2014/4/17 00:17
Hi diytraveller, nice to see you here. For a while I thought I have lost you since there is no feedback after my last post on your Unkai Terrace thread, lol!

Yes, for flowers in Furano and Biei late June is a better time especially for lavender and other summer flowers (July is even better). On the other hand, for tulip it is better to go for it as early as possible during your time frame. Tulips in Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park is said to be best during the month of May and will fade away by early June. Pink moss lasts a bit longer and can still be enjoyed until mid June. Since you are going to Abashiri and Shiretoko try to go for the Shibazakura Park which is prettier than the one in Takinoue.

For onsen experience, among the places you intend to go you should try to include an overnight stay in one of the onsen ryokans or hotels in Sounkyo Gorge. Near Biei is another popular onsen destination of Shirogane Onsen. Enroute you can stop by the highly worthwhile scenic site of Aoiike Blue Pond. Though not on your initial plan, consider to add in the beautiful lake region of Akan National Park. Tsuruga in Akan-ko should provide you with a memorable stay with its lovely rotenburo.

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Self Drive Hokkaido (6 - 20 Jun 2014) 2014/4/18 14:38
Thanks for the heads up especially on the Blue Pond and the Pink Moss at Abashiri. Doing research on the rest of your and other's suggestions, takes time but I'll be posting more queries later, if need be, as the planning gets more refined.
by diytraveller rate this post as useful

reply to this thread