Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/17 01:29
Okay, Ifm shock no one has asked this question yet but Ifm going to ask this question...

After experiencing having Japanese or foreign pen pal friend and losing your friend for whatever reason, my question isc

Would you try to make another pen pal friend or you are done trying to make a pen pal friend?

If you are trying to make another pen pal friendc

What mistake did you make or mistake you think you did so it wonft happen again?
What would you do differently from last time?
Would you try to write to them in their language and not just in your language?
Would you stop talking to them before they stop talking to you?...lol

Those are some simple question. If you want to add any of your questions feel free to do so.
---
With me, I would not try to make other pen pal friend because itfs hard to find a good pen pal and also to keep the conversation going.

Thank you in advance.
by call me Koi-Koi (guest)  

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/17 11:17
That's an odd question. If you feel like meeting different people, then just do it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/17 12:31
In my experience, making friends on this website or similar ones takes more than a bit of luck. Both people need to be exactly on the same wavelength for a lot of things, otherwise it's really easy to just "forget" about a person with whom it doesn't perfectly click.

So basically if you lost a "friend" on here, most probably no mistakes were made by either of you, you were just not "made for each other". Try again with someone else. Personally, I have contacted over a hundred people on here, and right now I'm still talking regularly with three of them (with plans to meet when I go to Japan next fall). And that's fine, I think.

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/17 12:32
(The two posters above are different people, by the way.)

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/17 22:47
Wish there were names I can see beside dot, dot, dot, I donft know if the 3 post by the same person but I agree with the person who made the second post.

Making friends on this website or others like this, you would need more than a bit of luck and being on the same wavelength is not easy when it comes to cultures differences. I find it a little hard to communicate with Japanese people on here just like when I was in Japan, but itfs easy for me to communicate with other foreigners from the UK, Europe, America, Australia, China and Taiwan; those are just some example of people I met when visiting Japan.

When I was in Japan I meet this guy (Japanese) in Nagasaki who was staying in the same Inn I was and he was so, so soooo, cool and open minded and down to earth. He was not afraid to hold back, he showed me a lot of stuff and told me a lot, thing I was too afraid to ask and wanted answered. Sadly we lost touch because he travels a lot, he went to India for a month on my last week to Japan. I sent him a e-mail, he replied back, I sent a reply and we lost communication, plus writing in English was very hard for him but his was good enough to communicate with me.

Thatfs the kind of friends I would like, I am opened minded, not shy and I can talking about anything without being embarrassed or take personal, and finding someone like him again not going to be easy.
by Koi-Koi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/18 10:21
Blaming "cultural differences" is too simplistic. Most of the time, the two people simply don't have the same character or interests, there is no need to bring in "cultural" stuff.

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/18 22:07
Sadly I think a great many stories regarding interaction with people from Japan, that end badly or not as expected, are passed off as being to do with culture. My own advice here is basically the same as one or two of the guests. Keep going. Try for many friends. It is like some sort of job interview in a way. Send out loads of 'cv's' Get maybe a few replies and maybe... just maybe, you will find someone who is on your wave length. That's life and the same the world over and not restricted to Japan.
by Willau rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/20 06:18
Yup it's pretty tough making friends that live on the opposite end of the world from you. You need to find someone you can get along well with. As much as I want to be friends with everyone, I cant. Either they dissappear or I do. I only have 3 lady friends and 3 guy friends that I kept in contact with out of the many people I've met. Some just start to dissappear maybe they got bored. Some I cut contact off myself because of personal reason. But I don't mind making just a few good friends :) Although it would be great to have lots of female friends to shop around with when I'm in Japan :D
by kiki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/24 13:59
hi, I agree with everyone, specially the the second reply from ...

making friends is not easy.. not everyone can be your friends, specially on an online site like this one where your first "meeting ".is just a series of exchanged messages. email is just so different from an actual face to face conversation, it just difficult to come off the way you really are and sometimes we tend to misinterpret things.

that's why I think you need so much more than just friendliness. you need to spark each other's interest to be able to continue the conversation, otherwise just like what have been stated, it's so easy to forget that person. and base from my observation, the only way to do this is if you rock the same boat.

just like normal friends, you have to at least similar qualities, because if not, it just wouldn't work.

also, if it doesn't work, it's not someone's fault. there are no mistakes, no reason to change the way you approach people... it's beyond our control for people to like us and want to be friends with us

the key is to be natural ,the way you really are. it'll be easier to find good friends. by being this way too, I think it will be easier when you finally meet them because you don't have to act a certain way.
by imALYve rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/24 22:06
Just have to find one with the right amount of randomness dude . I still haven't found one yet
by James Feicin rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/25 16:54
To me...just because you loose a friend doesn't mean you have to give up finding more...

I have few japanese friends...some i know through online some through other friends...
for instance i knew this two japanese through a penpal website in 2011. At first it was just exchange of cultures in our conversation
then those friends came visit in 2013..i make the time to meet them and we become closer..
and in 2014 i just went to japan in spring and also put time to meet them..
and now we are much closer...
I think its about how committed/serious you are in making friends. Just my one cent oppinion :)
by skysurf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese/foreign pen pal friend 2014/4/27 00:14
Defiantly a very low success rate of finding real friends, just have to keep looking till the right ones come along ;)
by razorRX rate this post as useful

reply to this thread