Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/17 01:45
Hello Everyone!

This is my first time going to Japan. I've been thinking a lot about it and I am going to finally start buy my tickets and accommodations in the next coming month.

I made an itinerary but I hope to see if you can help me out and give me some suggestions on how it is. I have a couple of questions, I hope you take the time to help me out!

I will be getting a 14 Day JR Pass and for local trains I will be getting a Suica Card.

Tokyo
Nov. 10 - Depart to NRT (Tokyo) @ 9:30AM
Nov. 11 - Arrive @ 11:40AM - Find Hotel - Explore Area
- Visit Asakusa, Tokyo Skytree, Ueno Park, Akihabara
Nov. 12 – Visit Nakano Broadway, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Meiji Shrine, Yoyogi Park
Nov. 13 - Nikko Day Trip
Nov. 14 - Kamakura & Enoshima Day Trip - Tokyo Tower & Odaiba/Gundam Front Tokyo (Return Trip)
Nov. 15 - Relax & Travel to Osaka - Depart @ ~08:00AM (3HR Tranisit)
Osaka
Nov. 15 - Arrive in the Afternoon (~11:00AM) & Find Hotel - Explore Area
- Visit Ame-Mura, Dotonbori, Shinsaibashi Shopping Arcade, Nipponbashi
Nov. 16 - Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, Kobe, Kobe Harborland
Nov. 17 - Tenmangu Shrine, Tenjinbashi-suji Shopping Street, Osaka Castle, Osaka History Museum
Nov. 18 - Osaka Aquarium, Tempozan Ferris Wheel, Naniwa Food Theme Park (Optional Universal Studios)
Nov. 19 - Travel to Kyoto - Depart @ ~9:00AM (1HR Transit) - JR Pass Covers Trip

Kyoto
Nov. 19 - Arrive in the morning (~10:00AM) & Find Hotel
- Arashiyama Half Day & Northern Kyoto Half Day (Japan-Guide)
- (Optional -Nijo Castle, Kyoto imperial Palace, Manga Museum, Animate Kyoto)
Nov. 20 - Eastern Kyoto Full Day (Japan-Guide) w/ Gion, Eikando, Higashiyama District
Nov. 21 - Nara Day Trip
Nov. 22 - Travel to Hiroshima - Depart @ ~8:00AM (3HR Transit) - JR Pass Covers Trip
Hiroshima
Nov. 22 - Arrive in the Afternoon (~11:00AM) & Find Hotel - Explore Area
- Hiroshima Peace Park & Museum, Hiroshima Downtown
Nov. 23 - Miyajima Day Trip
Nov. 24 - Open Free Day (Open for Options)
Nov. 25 - Travel to Tokyo - Depart @ ~8:00PM (4 Hour Transit)

Tokyo
Nov. 25 - Arrive in the Afternoon (~12:00PM) & Find Hotel - Explore / Shop
Nov. 26 - Open Free Day (Open for Options)
Nov. 27 - Leave to JFK (New York) - Evening @ 11:00AM

Questions:
1. Are there any days that you think are cluttered and hard to pull off?

2. I understand that the Suica card does not cover buses in Kyoto. Is there a pass bundle for that? It it even worth it to get based on only staying there 3 days?

3. Do you suggest any places I should go to in Hiroshima or Tokyo since I have a free day in both locations?

Thanks in Advance!
I look forward to your help!
by DavidR1865  

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/17 11:05
Nov 14 - Kamakura + Enoshima Island is a great day trip, it will definitely take the entire day (not sure if you were planning that plus Odaiba)

Nov 19 - Nijo Castle is much more worth your time than Kyoto Imperial Palace, The Imperial Palace park is great too

Nov 26 - I'm a big fan of Roppongi Hills Mori Tower Observation Deck. It costs about 1500 yen and that includes the 360 deck and the Mori Art Museum, which is a great contemporary art museum. You could also check out the cool izakayas (Japanese pubs) in Yurakucho (near Ginza).

For more on Kyoto: http://www.blaineanderin.com/two-days-kyoto/

by Erin DB rate this post as useful

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 00:12
@Erin BD - thank you for the suggestions and comments. I really appreciate it.

Nov. 14 - Kamakura + Enoshima is probably going to be a full day trip. I would like to go to Odaiba on the return trip to Tokyo by that all depends on how long I stay in Kamakura.

Nov. 19 - I will be arriving in Kyoto. I hope I have enough time to walk around and visit Arashiyama. I will take your suggestion and go visit Nijo Castle as well.

The link you provided is great! I will visit the Kyoto Visitor Center and see if they can help with my plans once I get there.

I read that November is a busy season in Kyoto since a lot of Japanese like to see the fall colors. I hope I can find my way around and have fun despite so many people being in Kyoto at this time.

Nov. 26 - I will look into visiting Roppongi Hills Mori Tower and Museum. It looks like a great place to visit.

Have you been to Hiroshima? Do you know of any places to visit there other than the typical tourist places that I should visit on Nov. 24th?

Thank you again for your suggestions and comments.
by DavidR1865 rate this post as useful

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 02:32
Not sure if you want to do Arashiyama and Northern Kyoto on the same day that you arrive in Kyoto. For one, most temples close around 4 pm to 5 pm. You'd have to consider how much time you want to spend at each and whether it's worth the entrance fee. Factor in the travel time plus rest time as well. And also it gets dark quickly in the fall so that might affect your sightseeing time.

You could buy a 500 yen one day bus pass for Kyoto. I was there for 5 days but didn't buy one. A one way ride is about 220 yen so I usually took the bus once to an area and used Google maps to walk the rest of my journey. I'd only suggest if you're fond of walking.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 02:33
I was also there during the fall. The buses tend to be crowded for popular spots but I say if you're an early bird, you'd definitely beat the crowds for sure. Buses and sightseeing spots tend to be crowded around 10am and beyond.

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 03:54
@Yozakura - thank you for your reply and comments!

I really want to go to Arashiyama and possibly Nijo Castle as Erin previous suggested. I think I will try to leave earlier from Osaka in order to make time for those two places when I arrive.

The link provided above had some information pertaining to the Kyoto Bus Pass. I think I might buy the 2 day unlimited pass for the two days I'm spending exploring Kyoto. I just want to be on the safe side.

Since the Fall might be super busy, I will do my best to avoid the crowds. I was thinking about renting a Bike instead of taking the bus. What do you think about that?

I heard that the city takes the bikes away if you illegally park it. Depending on how it looks on kyoto station, I will see if I should get the bus pass or just explore walking/cycling.

Thank you again for the reply and your input!

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 04:54
I rented a bicycle for Arashiyama. The rental store is at the train station itself. It was a good choice, except that it started snowing and I left my gloves in my luggage, heheh.
by laserlight rate this post as useful

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 05:31
@laserlight - perhaps i could rent a bike just the first day and explore. That sounds like a nice idea.

I hope don't get lost and run out of time to see some sights.

Have you ever been to Hiroshima?

Re: 16 Day Trip - Is my Itinerary good? 2014/4/18 05:49
Yes, if itfs just Nijo Castle that you want to visit then it should be doable with Arashiyama. Just keep in mind that Nijo closes at 4pm.

Thumbs up for the bike idea. I did see a lot of fellow tourists on bikes during my trip. Definitely seemed better than walking!

reply to this thread