Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/17 23:50
Hi everyone! I'm planning my third trip to Japan in July 2015. It's a long ways off, but hey, it's never too early to research.

On our last trip to Japan in April 2013, we went to Naha & Tokashiki Island. We were only there for an evening, one full day, and then left the following afternoon. We DEFINITELY should've spent more time there, and were bummed that we didn't end up getting to snorkel or dive because the water was so chilly. My husband was VERY bummed about this because he wants to dive very badly.

We've never been to Hokkaido before, and I hear that Hokkaido has wonderful weather in July. My group likes to hike, but I wouldn't say we want to spend multiple days hiking. We like a mix of culture, shopping, nature, etc.

What it might come down to is where will cost the most to travel. Low cost carriers now travel to Yaeyama for only $50 round trip from Naha (along with the $100 round trip to get to Naha from Osaka/Tokyo). It's about the same price to fly from Osaka-Sapporo-Tokyo. I don't think we will have time to do BOTH places because of time constraints; besides, going from the southernmost to northernmost parts of Japan takes time in itself :)

I appreciate any and all input! Thanks! Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
by Heidi (guest)  

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/19 03:49
I re-read my post and realized I wasn't very clear about what I was asking. Have YOU been to either of these places in the month of July and had an absolute blast? I'd love to hear some personal experiences.
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/19 10:16
I've been to the Yaeyama Islands in August last year it was beyond great!!!!!
I can highly recommend it:
http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/yaeyama-islands/

I plan to visit Hokkaido this August, so I can't tell you yet if it's better, but you can't go wrong with Okinawa! :D
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/21 11:05
Thank you SOOO much, zoomingjapan!! I love your blog (as we've chatted on Facebook hehe). Just so everyone else knows, her blog is what got me more interested in other islands of Okinawa. Check it out if you haven't!!!

Honestly, at this point, two of the four members of our party are all about okinawa. I'm still half and half and would love to do either one, but they feel pretty strongly. I also like that it doesn't appear to be as blistering hot as the Kansai region could be in the middle of summer, due to ocean breezes.

Thanks again!!! :D

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/21 11:51

Heidi,

I have been to both places , but not in July.
If I were you , I would pick Hokkaido. July is probably the best month of the year for the area.

However, The Yaeyama Islands are in subtropical region . Weather is warm most of the time. You can pick virtually any month to visit. It is just my 2 cent opinion.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/21 16:48
Thanks so much, Heidi! ^___^

What liam says is partly true. Hokkaido is very beautiful in summer and maybe the best season to visit.
However, you can't just go to Okinawa all year round and expect swimming / snorkeling conditions.
Okinawa has a rainy and typhoon season as well. Winter is also not a good idea. I once stayed 2 weeks in Okinawa at the end of the year and it was raining every single day, pretty cool weather, too.

While you don't have to visit Okinawa in summer for diving / snorkeling, one needs to be careful when planning their trip.

Like I said, you won't regret visiting either of them. :)

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 01:21
Thank you both!! Yes, I can attest to the fact that we went to Okinawa in April and it was actually quite cool. Most of my photos include me in my zippered jacket. We didn't get all the way down to Yaeyama at that time, but still... Quite chilly! The water itself was even more chilly! The two guys in our group ventured in for just a moment but that didn't last long ;)

I'm very very torn about this issue! I'd love if we could go to both places, but ... I don't think time/money will allow that.

Is it a good idea to get a rental car in either location? Ishigaki looks pretty good sized, but if we can manage without, that would be awesome.

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 05:08
I've been both places in july.

In Hokkaido, during one week, I've been to Hakodate, Koya lake, Sapporo, Horaru, Furano, Biei and Asahikawa.
It was a very fresh and nice trip by car. One of the most pleasant places was the night view fron mount Hakodate.http://www.soleilrouge.org/hakodate-vue-exceptionnelle
Another one was the fields of flowers and the landscape near Bieihttp://www.soleilrouge.org/hokkaado-paysages-remarquables

I've been twice a week at Miyakojima. The most beaufiful beachs are here... on the corral sand and in the water.http://www.soleilrouge.org/miyako-jima-presentation-generale

I've spent four days at Okinawa. Shuri-jô and Churaumi are great!http://www.soleilrouge.org/articles/l-ale-de-okinawa

Some pictures of our frist trip:http://www.soleilrouge.org/okinawa-2012-sejour-de-reve-en-son-et-image...
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 08:54
Ishigaki has a lot of buses, so you don't necessarily need a rental car, but I recommend it! :)
For more remote islands such as Iriomote a car would be the best option.

Most other islands of the Yaeyama group are small enough to explore by rental bicycle. ;)

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 09:55
If you HAVE to go in July, I recommend Hokkaido. I haven't been, but the heat in Okinawa in July is oppressive,to the point where it can keep you indoors all day if you can't handle it coupled with the humidity.

On top of that, the threat from typhoons during the season in July is very real. I had to cut my trip short in July of last year because there was a typhoon barreling down, and my hosts were concerned that the airport wouldn't be open in time for me to catch my flight back to Canada. They were right.

So, July if you HAVE to go then, but if you can wait, Okinawa in September/October should still be quite nice. Just watch for Habu Jellyfish, that sting HAS to be the most unpleasant thing I've ever experienced in my life. And I've been stung by regular old Atlantic jellyfish before. :(
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 11:10
Okinawa in April and it was actually quite cool. Most of my photos include me in my zippered jacket. We didn't get all the way down to Yaeyama at that time, but still... Quite chilly! The water itself was even more chilly!

Ishigaki is about 400 KM north of Okinawa : ​http://www.ishigaki-japan.com/weather/climate

My husband was VERY bummed about this because he wants to dive very badly.
I'm very very torn about this issue!

Sounds like your priority is water sport. Yaeyama Islands would be the obvious choice. I do not see you would be doing that in Hokkaido.
by inge (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 11:17

Sorry ,should be "SOUTH"

Ishigaki is about 400 KM south of Okinawa : ​http://www.ishigaki-japan.com/weather/climate
by inge (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa/Yaeyama vs Hokkaido in July 2014/4/22 23:39
Thanks everyone so much for the additional replies!!

Fuchan, your website is AWESOME. Thank you for sharing; definitely a great resource for decision making. Miyakojima is now making its way towards my interest list, haha! :) It seems like some people suggest Miyako for a shorter trip; Ishigaki & Yaeyama for a longer stay. I'm leaning towards Yaeyama, but I'll see how long we have. Also, PERSONALLY (just me, 1/4 of the group), I'm leaning towards Hokkaido. BUT I'm not the only person in the group! :)

Zoomingjapan, how cool would it be to explore by bike!! Didn't think of that!!

Amyranth, oh boy o__o Looks like that could be a serious deterrent. I'd hate to get a flight cancelled/rescheduled or have to not do an activity. Also, jellyfish are not my favorite. I spend lots of time on the beach and I still don't like them!

Inge, thanks for the clarification :) I was just surprised when we went to Okinawa Honto in April and it was STILL that chilly; that was just the point I was trying to make. I'm glad that Yaeyama is much further away and therefore warmer. And like I said ... for my HUSBAND, he wants to do the diving and snorkeling. I'll do it, but would I rather be hiking in Hokkaido? Yes :) But I'm a good wife and try to take everyone's opinion into account ;)

Thanks again everyone!

reply to this thread