Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unique Layover situation 2014/4/19 04:29
Hello! I have a 10 hour layover in Tokyo - but my flight arrives at Haneda IA at 7:10 am and leaves from Narita at 5:05 pm. All of my flights are on ANA and I plan to check my luggage through to LAX. I definitely want to go into Tokyo. I have several questions:

1. How much time could I realistically expect in Tokyo? I was thinking from 9-2.

2. Is there a day pass that I can purchase for all the trains, even the high speed trains?

3. I speak no Japanese and will be traveling solo.

Thanks
by India (guest)  

Re: Unique Layover situation 2014/4/19 11:31
I don't think you will be able to check your luggage all the way thru to LAX, more likely you will have to take them with you from HND to NRT.
by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique Layover situation 2014/4/19 12:26
When will you travel?

In major stations in and around Tokyo you can see signs in English here and there.

If your flight to Haneda Airport [HND] is punctual and you become free to travel Japan around 08:00, you can spend about 6 hours in central Tokyo.

Narita Airport [NRT] is located outside Tokyo. Your LAX-bound ANA flight uses NRT Terminal 1. There are a JR station and a Keisei station of the sane name "Narita Airport."
A one-way railroad trip from a station inside Tokyo 23 city wards to Narita Airport Station (of JR-East / of Keisei) lasts for about 1 to 2 hours.
- How to travel between Narita Airport and Haneda Airport
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html?aFROM=2027_2430

In HND you can choose Tokyo Monorail or Keikyu to travel by rail to another area in Tokyo.

Trains departing from stations of Keikyu in HND run in multiple directions; NRT-bound trains run on Keikyu lines + Toei subway Asakusa Line + Keisei lines.
Please feel free to ask a Keikyu station attendant which train you should take.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html?aFROM=2027_2430

Is there a day pass that I can purchase for all the trains, even the high speed trains?

Unfortunately there is no such pass.

Some areas such as Asakusa and Roppongi are served by subway but not served by JR.
If you visit several such areas on 22 April 2014 or later, a Tokyo Subway Ticket is worth considering.
- Transportation in Tokyo
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
When you use this subway pass, please make sure to exit subway with it even if you take a through train to NRT.

You can head to NRT from a station among Sengakuji (A-07) - Oshiage (A-20) on Toei subway Asakusa Line or, from Tokyo Station (M-17) on Tokyo Metro subway Marunouchi Line, which is near Sobu Underground tracks (on 5th basement) for NRT-bound JR trains in Tokyo Station.

- Tokyo Subway Route Map
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf
A transfer between two subway stations may include passing through the platform of another line (as in Kasumigaseki (M-15, H-06, C-08) between Marunouchi Line and Chiyoda Line) or walling outside on the ground (as in Kuramae (A-17, E-11) and in Hongo-sanchome (E-08, M-11)).

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2014/4/19 12:30
NOT: walling
BUT: walking
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Unique Layover situation 2014/4/21 03:01
Thank you so much for the advice! I called ANA and you are right - I cannot check my bags through to LA.

I am looking at the various options.

cheers!
India
by India (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unique Layover situation 2014/4/21 07:12
Since you'll have to take your luggage with you, you might look at taking the Keikyu line to Shinagawa and storing it in a locker while you sightsee, then in the afternoon take the N'Ex from Shinagawa to Narita.

However, if you have a lot of luggage, it might be easier to take the limousine bus to TCAT, storing it in a locker while you sightsee, then in the afternoon take another limousine bust from TCAT to Narita.
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread