Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/22 19:40
I'm travelling across western Japan next week. Obama is one place I want to see but I'm not sure about when I'll arrive there so I'm reluctant to book a hotel.
Does anyone know if there's a manga cafe or somehere I can shelter until first train in Obama?
Also in Tsuruga, does anyone know any such place there? Is there anything worth seeing in Tsuruga.
I will be arriving from Amanohashidate and heading to Maibara the next day so not sure where I'll end up!
by John (guest)  

Re: Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/22 21:00
There is no internet cafe in Obama. In Tsuruga, there is one that is open 24 hours a day.
http://www15.ocn.ne.jp/~k-z/annai.html
https://plus.google.com/100143599347608960405/about?hl=en
If possible, it is recommended that you book a hotel.

by passby168 rate this post as useful

Re: Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/22 21:21
Its only for one night whilst I pass through between a hotel the night before and going home the next day. I'm not sure where I'll end my night and trains around the area seem to stop early and be not very good.
I've pulled all nighters before in Tokyo-without internet cafes even.
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/22 22:10
oh that cool, when i visited Japan, i meet someone from China who was going to visit Obama, i guess they have a great hotspring out there. i wish i went with him. om my next travel to Japan i will visit Obama and maybe Obama from the USA there
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/22 22:19
Tsuruga has some noteworthy sites, depending on your interests.

The most famous is Kehi Shrine. It's shrine gate is very famous. It's one of the "top 3 shrine gates" and I believe is also mentioned in the Nihon-Shoki.

The Kehi no Matsubara, is a pine grove along the coast. It's one of the top 3 pine groves and is partially featured in the famous ukiyoe painting of Echizen Province.

There are some famous temples and coastal attractions, too.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/23 02:40
Plenty of things to do in the Obama area. It's one of the best kept secrets for a 2-3 day trip out of Kyoto. Most head west to Amanohashidate/Kinosaki Onsen but the eastern area towards Fukui is a wonderful rental car trip. JNTO has the best info here:

https://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/fukui/wakasa.html

Click on the link to the Wakasa Tourist info.

There is a boat tour of the Five Lakes area, which passes through narrow canals. There is a cable car to the top of a mountain. I remember making my way to the beach where the sand crunches under your feet. Obama town has one of the best negiri sushi places in Japan. It's at the port area where you take a boat tour to see the rock formations along the coast. There are trays of really fresh sushi. I went to the area twice for this. If you go up the coast towards Fukui, the area is famous for Echizen crab.
by Guesto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obama and Tsuruga 2014/4/23 11:23
I've pulled all nighters before in Tokyo-without internet cafes even.

Obama's gonna be a totally different experience though, since its pretty rural/suburban.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread