Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to see Tokyo,Takayama,Kyoto,Osaka 2014/4/22 19:48
Hello!

My family and I (3 people: husband, myself, and my daughter) will be visiting Japan from May 20th-June 3rd. Would like some advice and help, please!

Here is our itinerary. What do you think? Is this do-able or are we crazy?

May 20-Arrive in Tokyo at Narita Airport. Staying at Sheraton Miyako Hotel. Any feedback about the hotel and location? What about the train routes? The hotel states that it's about a 7 to 8 minute walk to the nearest train station, but they also provide a shuttle service to the nearest train station. Location wise, is this a good location to be able to get to places such as Ginza, Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asakusa, etc?
May 21-Ashikaga Flower Park. How much time should we allow for the park? Any suggestions about what we should do before or after?
May 22-Sightsee Tokyo (We have been there before, but any recommendations on what to do or see?)
May 23-Leave Tokyo at 10am for Takayama via Shinkansen and check into hotel in Takayama and walk the town
May 24-Guided tour (Shirakawa-go and Gokayama). This tour will be from 8am-3pm. In PM, at the hotel in onsen.
May 25-Takayama morning market. Leave Takayama around 10am for Osaka via Shinkansen. When we arrive in Osaka, we are planning on staying at either the Swissotel Nankai Osaka OR Hotel NIkko Osaka. Any opinions or feedback about these two hotels? Which one do you suggest we stay at? After checking in at the hotel, we are planning on going to the Osaka Aquarium. Any opinions on this Aquarium? Is it worth going to?
May 26-In the AM, traveling from Osaka to Kyoto via Shinkansen. Will be visiting the Fushimi Inari Shrine and Sanjusangendo temple. In the afternoon, we will return to Osaka and go to Osaka Castle for pictures. In the PM, planning on going to Dotonbori street. Any other highlights in Osaka? (Have been to Osaka and Kyoto before, but didn't have much time to see much. I'm wondering if there's anything special that we should see or do).
May 27-Leave Osaka around 10am via Shinkansen back to Tokyo.
May 28-Fuji/Hakone tour all day (about 11 hours)
May 29-Sightsee Tokyo
May 30-Check out of hotel and leave for Tokyo Disneyland in the afternoon.
May 31 through June 3-Tokyo Disneyland
June 3-Leave Tokyo Disneyland and fly out of Narita Airport

We are planning on getting a JR 7-day Pass before we leave home. Is it more economical to take the NEX from Narita Airport to our hotel (Sheraton Miyako Tokyo) and begin using the pass on May 21st and finish using it on May 27th when it will expire at Midnight, as it will be the long train rides during those times. Or, should we do it differently?

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Chloe
by Chloe (guest)  

Re: Best way to see Tokyo,Takayama,Kyoto,Osaka 2014/4/24 06:22
What do you think? Is this do-able or are we crazy?
May 30 - Check out of hotel and leave for Tokyo Disneyland in the afternoon.
May 31 through June 3-Tokyo Disneyland

I cannot imagine how much time and power needs to be consumed in visiting Tokyo Disneyland / Tokyo DisneySea on 4 consecutive days including two weekend days.
After visiting many places in a foreign country, your family may well be already tired, especially your daughter if she is small.
Considering also possible crowdedness in the weekend, I suggest you would allot Friday, May 30 and Monday, June 2 for Tokyo Disneyland and/or Tokyo DisneySea.

Have been to Osaka and Kyoto before, but didn't have much time to see much.

Then half a day sounds too short for Kyoto City.

If you cannot postpone your Hakone tour, how about visiting Kyoto City on May 25 - 26 and Osaka City from the evening of May 26?

May 25 - we are planning on going to the Osaka Aquarium

Personally unless I hope to see something unique to a certain popular aquarium, I would not choose to visit it in a weekend (when it may be crowded).
For your information: There are some well-known aquariums also in Tokyo.

we are planning on staying at either the Swissotel Nankai Osaka OR Hotel Nikko Osaka. Any opinions or feedback about these two hotels?

Regarding railroad accesses, I see no major difference between the two hotels.
- Route Map of Osaka Municipal Subway and New Tram
http://www.kotsu.city.osaka.lg.jp/library/img/english/subway/map.pdf
: To Swissotel Nankai Osaka you can have a walk from Exit 4 near the subway Midosuji Linefs platform of Namba Station (Y15 / S16 / M20).
: To Hotel Nikko Osaka you can have a walk from a gate above the subway Midosuji Linefs platform of Shinsaibashi Station (Y14 / N15 / M19).
: Namba Station (M20) and Shinsaibashi Station (M19) are next to each other on subway Midosuji Line. Dotonbori dining street can be reached on foot from the two stations.
: You can switch from Midosuji Line to Chuo Line in Hommachi (Y13 / C16 / M18) when you travel to Osakako (C11) near Aquarium Kaiyukan / to Tanimachi 4-[yon-]chome (T23 / C18) near Osaka Castle Park.

Staying at Sheraton Miyako Hotel. What about the train routes?

From Narita Airport Station / Airport Terminal 2 Station (of JR-East) you can take a Narita Express to Shinagawa Station, where you can switch to Yamanote Linefs outer loop (Track 2). Meguro Station will be the 3rd stop after Shinagawa. A NfEX Tokyo Direct Ticket can be valid all the way to Meguro. A one-way trip requires about 1 and a half hour.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_oneway.html

As you have noticed, Sheraton Miyako Hotel is offering shuttle buses from and to East Exit/Entrance of Meguro Station.
A taxi fare to get from/to Meguro Station (of JR-East) to/from the hotel is estimated at around 900 yen per car per way if the taxi runs smoothly.

is this a good location to be able to get to places such as Ginza, Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asakusa

Ebisu, Shibuya, Harajuku, Yoyogi and Shinjuku Stations (of JR-East) are the five stops just after Meguro on Yamanote Linefs outer loop. Depending on sites to visit, it may be better to change lines.
- Tokyo Subway Route Map
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf
You can use Tokyo Metro subway Namboku Line / Toei subway Mita Line from either Meguro (N-01/ I-01), Shirokanedai (N-02 / I-02) or Shirokane-takanawa (N-03 / I-03). (The two subway lines use the same tracks in these three stations.)
From Meguro (N-01), Shirokanedai (N-02) or Shirokane-takanawa (N-03) you can take a train on Namboku Line to (N-06) Tamekike-sanno (G-06), switch there to Ginza Line and take a train to (G-09) Ginza or (G-19) Asakusa.
- Map of Tamekike-sanno Station (G-06 / N-06) and Kokkai-gijidomae Station (C-07 / M-14)
http://www.tokyometro.jp/station/tameike-sanno/yardmap/images/yardmap....

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread