Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/4/23 11:10
Is the "u" silent?
by lalainec2003  

Re: how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/4/23 12:49
The "u" is not silent, but it's barely pronounced. Think of the "oo" in soot. Pronounce it as you would the "oo" in soot. It's there but almost isn't! Hard to explain and I hope you understood!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/4/23 13:01
i know how to say "gozaimasu" so I'm wondering if "basu" is pronounced the same as "masu"
by lalainec2003 rate this post as useful

Re: how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/4/23 15:17
I'm not sure that's going to clear things up as the "u" in gozaimasu can be spoken or held relatively silent. It depends on the speaker and the situation. But yes, the "u" in basu follows and can be relatively silent but may also be spoken depending on the situation.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/4/23 19:22
I don't know how it works on your PC.
if I use google translation from English to Japanese. I can hear Japanese pronunciation.
http://translate.google.co.jp/
bus - バス(basu)
ride a bus - バスに乗る(basu ni noru).
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/4/24 04:36
??? The same as in English.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to pronounce basu (English bus) 2014/5/2 18:24
If the "u" is strongly suppressed it can come close to sounding like the English pronunciation, but doesn't ever quite get there and native English speakers will be able to hear a difference.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread