Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Not your usual Japanese Guy? 2014/4/23 17:24
Recently, I've met a japanese guy at a cafe at Los Angeles. We already went out for two dates (the first being a study date to help me with my Japanese) He's really kind and sweet to me! Although, being a filipina raised to be conservative, I find him to be really straightforward and fast when it comes to dating! Most of the posts here talk about how Japanese boys are shy, but in my case, it's the opposite! Since I couldn't find any forum posts that relates to this I decided to post a couple of questions here!

1.) During the study date, we happened to stumble upon the subject of Japanese honorifics. When I asked him how he would refer to me as, he answered y-taso. (since I asked about what -taso was!) and when I asked him how he'd want me to refer to him and he answered x-kun!

To my knowledge, when using -kun and -taso (tan), when used between a female and male friend, it's usually used for when they've known each other for long or if they are in a relationship (please correct me if I'm wrong! But since I wasn't sure, I decided not to address it to him). So would it be appropriate for us to call each other with these honorifics considering the fact that we've only met twice in person?

And

2.) He told me that I was cute in Japanese a couple of times, asked me if I was popular with guys, and that if I happened to have a boyfriend right now (which I don't). He already told me that he likes me too.
After our second date, while on the ride back, he told me again that he liked me and even asked if he could kiss me. I said no, since I thought it was too fast! (We've only met in person for 2 days!) He was okay with it though and he didn't mind that I refused. He petted me a bunch of times on the head though, and said that it was a way of showing affection in Japan (?)

Is it too fast for him to do all the things he did or am I just too much of an old lady?

All in all, he's a really nice guy. I feel like I might like him back, but I'm getting kind of intimidated by how fast it's going for me (especially since I've hardly dated before because my parents used to be strict to me when it comes to boys...) I'm also not sure if he might be taking advantage of the fact that I'm shy and that I don't know much about Japanese customs (yet), so I'd like to ask what you folks think about it?

Thanks in advance!
by Rinni (guest)  

Re: Not your usual Japanese Guy? 2014/4/23 20:15
You can call him XX-kun. It's a Japanese honorifics referring senior or elderly person to junior or younger person. It's widely used between classmates, colleagues, boy and girl friends. If you are both closer age, it can be acceptable. If you are very young then he is very mature, you don't say XX-kun. You should say XX-san.

Petting your head....
I guess this is the aspect most Japanese girls demand to their boy friend to do so. You can be seen the aspect in Manga and Anime quite often.
This is what I guess, petting someone's head can be acceptable if he/she is senior and then you are junior. Girls demand to be junior, so that girls demand that action.
Petting someone's head is called "Pon-Pon".
I think he has the previous experience that he did Pon-Pon on girls. Otherwise he doesn't do that on you.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Not your usual Japanese Guy? 2014/4/23 22:53
I wouldn't spend too much analyzing his behavior from a Japanese behavior, as people act differently when their friends and family are on the other side of the world. If he's been in the U.S. awhile he's picked up american customs as well.

He might like you, or he might just be looking for something more physical. There's no way for us to know.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Not your usual Japanese Guy? 2014/4/23 23:03
Japan still has a fair share of both fast guys and shy guys. He seems common enough to me.

Of course, common doesn't necessarily mean safe, and neither does shy mean it.
by Uco, been a J female for 52 years (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Not your usual Japanese Guy? 2014/4/24 00:01
You sound very naive. Where guys can easily pray on. Get to know him and see what he really want from you. I'd take what uco said and think about it. She's right. Whether it's Japenese male or other type of male. Just because one is Japanese doesn't mean he's an actual gentleman. I know a few that consider foriegn women are easy to jump into bed with by just sweet talk. They are not shy. You know guy talk and some guys will just spill that out. Just be careful. Take things slow and don't jump to fast with this one. It's only two dates. Easy come , easy go.
by Jay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Not your usual Japanese Guy? 2014/4/24 02:41
Fast guys don't always go fast towards commitment.. sometimes they just go fast towards the bedroom.
I don't have much experience with Japanese guys (I have only one and intend to keep it that way!), but this type of behaviour can happen the same anywhere in the world.
He seems to fancy you, but if it is for real of just for fun you don't know yet... So if your guts tell you you'd like to slow down, and that is also in your culture, follow your instinct and don't let him force you into something you are not sure about. If he runs away thinking you are too conservative, then it just means he wasn't the one for you. But he might stick around, and then you have the chance to get to know each other better... Good luck!
by Brida rate this post as useful

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions 2014/4/25 05:39
tokyo friend 48- He's older than me by 4 years, so I guess it's not that big of an age gap. And thank you for providing the information about ぽんぽん!

ChicagoMike & Uco- That's very true. He has been studying abroad, so it's understandable. And regarding Uco's comment, I'll make sure to keep my guard up!

Jay- I must admit that I don't know much when it comes to dating. But once I know there's something wrong, I do take my stand.
And I don't immediately think a guy is a gentleman because he is Japanese--I asked because I wanted to make sure that I'm not reading his actions wrong. And don't worry, I definitely won't jump fast with him! I'm not the type of girl who would do that.

Brida- Right! Often times it's like that, that's why I was worried about his straightforwardness in those 2 dates! I appreciate that he doesn't mind it when I refuse him though, he reassured me that it was fine with him when I told him it's too fast. I guess I'll see in the future what kind of guy he really is.

Thanks again everyone! I'll post again if anything comes up!

by Rinni (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread