Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for May 2014 trip 2014/4/24 09:11
Hello everyone. I want to start by saying this web site and forum have both been essential to helping us put together a plan and figure out what to do and where to go, so thank you to the people of the site and community.

My wife and I have been putting this together for the last few months and have most things ironed out.

We're leaving May 7th into Narita and departing May 23rd, next month. We've got our JR pass 2 week vouchers ready, and plan on activating them a couple days into the trip to make the most use out of the 14 days. From the airport we'll be getting the NEX Tokyo Direct ticket to Shinjuku, our first destination.

May 8th - [Shinjuku] check-in Shinjuku hotel and relax/free day
May 9th - [Tokyo] Shinjuku Gyoen, Southern Terrace, Skyscraper District, Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building Observation Deck, Robot Restaurant)
May 10th - [Tokyo] Kaminarimon/Nakamise Dori/Sensoji Temple in Asakusa, Edo Tokyo Museum, Akahibara
May 11th - [Western Tokyo] Meiji Shrine, Yoyogi Park, Harajuku, Takeshita Dori, Omotesando, Shibuya Crossing, Cat Street, Okinawa Festival in Yoyogi Park
May 12th - [Nikko] Details TBD
May 13th - [Kawasaki] Nihon Minkaen Folk House Museum, Cat Cafe back in Shinjuku
May 14th - [Tokyo] Tsukiji Fish Market, Odaiba
May 15th - [Hikone] Hikone Castle, travel to Kyoto, check-in Kyoto hotel
May 16th - [Kyoto] Philosopher's Path Half Day: Ginkakuji, Philosopherfs Path, Nanzenji, Keage Incline, Heian Shrine
May 17th - [Kyoto] Northern Kyoto Half Day: Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ninnaji, Nijo Castle, Nishiki Market (& shops in Shijo Dori)
May 18th - [Kyoto] Arashiyama Full Day - Monkey Park, Togetsukyo Bridge, Tenryuji, Bamboo Groves, Jojakkoji Temple, Gioji Temple, Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Dori, Otagi Nenbutsuji, Daikakuji
May 19th - [Kyoto/Nara] Fushimi Inari Shrine & Day Trip to Nara
May 20th - [Kyoto] Higashiyama Half Day: Kiyomizudera, Higashiyama District, Kodaiji, Kenninji, Gion, Yasaka shrine, check-in at Ryokan in Gion
May 21st - [Hakone] Travel to Hakone and check-in at onsen Ryokan
May 22nd - [Hakone] Hakone Loop, travel back to Tokyo, check-in hotel
May 23rd - [Tokyo] check-out and departure

Our affinity is both in the young culture/city/pop/anime and technology but the history is fascinating as well, we're very excited.

Any input, feedback and/or recommendations appreciated!

-Danny
by DannySFL  

Re: Itinerary for May 2014 trip 2014/4/24 10:59
Lots of good things there. I think May 14 is a little sparse, activity-wise. I'd suggest working those two activities into other days.

May 19 is too crowded. Both Fushimi Inari and Nara are meant to be savored. I'd suggest a full afternoon for Fushimi Inari and a full day for Nara if at all possible.
by Gorilla Jones rate this post as useful

reply to this thread