Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

23 night October itinerary 2014/4/24 13:50
Hi all,

Just wanting some feedback on my (admittedly very long) itinerary. I'm travelling with my boyfriend and I'm the sort of person that wants to see EVERYTHING so I'm worried I've gone overboard and will wear us both out. Hotels and things are already booked.

I think we'll be using the 21 day JR pass but I would like to double check that it's worth it.

October 1 wed: Arrive Narita at 2:40pm – travel to Shinjuku hotel and check in – Explore Shinjuku (Department stores, Hanazono shrine, Golden Gai and Kabukicho)
Does anyone know if Hanazono Shrine sells shuincho (seal books) or is it too small? I want to start a collection as early in my trip as possible.

October 2 thurs: Morning in Asakusa (Sensoji, Skytree and surrounds) – Travel to Kappabashi street– Travel to Ueno park and bring bento for lunch-visit one of the museums (recommendations on the best one?) – Travel to Saitama for Nagomi visit for dinner (6pm)

October 3 fri: Early start for Fuji Five Lakes – Fuji 5th station, Aokigahara forest, wind cave, ice cave, bat cave. (If possible – Owakudani valley and Hakone-machi)

October 4 sat: Day pass for Tokyo DisneySea and starlight pass for Tokyo Disneyland

October 5 sun: Meiji Shrine/Yoyogi park, Harajuku + Shibuya. Roppongi Hills at night.

October 6 mon: 10:00am departure for Kanazawa stopping at Maibara. Arrive 1:00pm and drop baggage at ryokan. Visit Kenrokuen. Visit Ishikawa crafts and gifts shop and Kaga yuzen for yuzen dyeing experience.

October 7 tues: Nomura family residences, Naga machi buke yashiki district, Takada family residence. Lunch. Kanazawa gold leaf museum and Higashi chaya district. Dinner at Ryokan.

October 8 wed: Omicho markets for breakfast. Travel from Kanazawa to Takayama (recommendations on catching train or bus and times? Leaving at about 10am). Check in bags at minshuku. Rent bike and ride to Hida folk village. Explore sanmachi for dinner.

October 9 thurs: Miyakawa market for breakfast in the morning. Takayama Matsuri. Visit hachimangu shrine. Follow procession, see marionettes and explore town. Night festival.

October 10 fri: Takayama Matsuri continues and explore town. Rent bike and ride the higashiyama walking course. Depart Takayama 3:36pm for Kyoto. Arrive Kyoto 7:15pm.

October 11 sat: Morning – Kinkakuji, ryoanji and Nijo castle Afternoon – Kiyomizudera and Higashiyama. Pontocho for dinner.

October 12 sun: Arashiyama and Saga toriimoto(Monkey park, scenic railway, river cruise, bamboo forest, otagi nenbutsuji/adashino nenbustuji, gioji temple)

October 13 mon: Nara and Uji

October 14 tues: Morning - Hikone castle Afternoon – Free afternoon in Kyoto

October 15 wed: Morning – Fushimi Inari Afternoon – Nishiki market tour and cooking class

October 16 thurs: Sanjusan gendo. Chopstick making at marumasu nishimuraya. Tea ceremony? Gion for dinner.

October 17 fri: Depart Kyoto for Mt Koya at 12:00pm, leaving bags at Osaka station lockers, arrive gokurakubashi at 2:50pm. Explore Koyasan, Okunoin cemetery in the late afternoon. Temple stay overnight.

October 18 sat: Depart Mt Koya. Leave Gokurakubashi at 9:30, arrive Osaka ~ 11:30. Collect bags from lockers and take to hotel. Visit Osaka Aquarium.

October 19 sun: Depart Osaka 10am, arrive Hiroshima 11:40. Leave bags in lockers at station and explore peace park. Depart Hiroshima for Miyajima at 3:00pm. Check in at ryokan on Miyajima.

October 20 mon: Explore miyajima.

October 21 tues: Depart Miyajima guchi 11:00am, Arrive Hiroshima 11:30am. Stock up on food. Depart Hiroshima 12:15pm, Arrive Shinjuku 6:00pm. Check in to hotel and explore Shinjuku some more.

October 22 wed: Ghibli museum and Inokashira park. Explore central Tokyo and Ginza.

October 23 thurs: Akihabara and revisiting favourite places.

October 24 fri: Depart Narita 10:50am.

Phew, if you read all that thanks!
by chasingme (guest)  

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/24 17:47
Hello,
I want to start a collection as early in my trip as possible.
Oh, great!(^o^)/
Now I call Hanazono Shrine and he said they sell go-shuincho.
Sorry, I forgot to ask that price, but it's often 1000yen and possibly an additional fee 300yen for go-shuin calligraphy.
This is just a quick note!
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/24 18:55
October 10 fri: Takayama:
- No bikes on The higashiyama WALKING COURSE in Takayama. Lots of stairs.
- I wouldn't use a bike to go to the Hida Folk Village (uphill). I would use the bus or walk.
- Near Takayama is Shirakawa-go. Please consider it, really worth it.

October 23 thurs: 4 train stops from Akihabara is Kameidoten Jinja, very nice shrine.

October 24 fri: Before you leave Japan, if you can visit the gorgeous Naritasan Temple. The best way to say goodby to Japan.
by Fernando (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/25 09:05
Oct 2 - The Tokyo National Museum is definitely one of the best museums in the city! I also recommend a stroll along Ameyokocho Market (across from Ueno Station). There's lots of souvenirs, foods, and tiny restaurants.

Oct 5 - I highly recommend the Mori Tower Observation deck. It's about 1500 yen per ticket and that includes entrance into the Mori Art Museum.

Oct 11 - Go up (or down) Chawanzaka Lane that leads to Kiyomizu-dera. It has great souvenir shops and great snacks. It's a very hilly little road.

Oct 12 - In Arashiyama check out Okochi Sanso Villa. It costs 1000 yen which includes tea and dessert and it's well worth the price!

Sounds like you guys have a great trip planned!

For more on Japan: http://www.blaineanderin.com/5-things-to-know-about-japan-before-you-g...

by Erin DB rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/25 10:30
You have been a great plan. I guess you better avoided if possible, to go to Kyoto in October 11-13. The 3 days is a holiday in Japan, where tourist destinations also crowded, Kyoto will especially crowded. I recommend that the next of Takayama, to change the itinerary to go ahead Miyajima, Hiroshima and Osaka in the direction of the west of Kyoto, then, you visit Kyoto.
by passby168 rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/28 10:59
Wow! Thank you all so much for your replies!

@ajapaneseboy: Thank you SO much for going out of your way and calling the shrine! It's made me so excited to know I can start my goshuincho straight away! I'm a little worried about time though. Last time I was in Tokyo we went in February and by the time we got from the airport to shinjuku (4pm) the shrine had shut for the day. I realise shrines shut at sundown? In October what time do you think sunset would be?

@Fernando: I love all the recommendations for shrines! Do you think getting to and from Shirakawa-go would be feasible in a half day? We'll probably go on the 10th before we go to Kyoto.

@Erin DB: Thanks for the museum recommendation and about all the other places to go! I'm definitely keen to go to the villa, I'll just have to find a way to drag the boy there if he decides he's gardened out.

@passby168: Unfortunately I realised about national sports day only after I'd booked hotels. Oh well. Would you suggest doing some of the "less intense" Kyoto base days on the public holidays instead? Are most shops open on those days?

Thanks again everyone!
by chasingme rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/28 11:22
The shirakawago can be done in half a day
I did it through this tour(morning or evening session)

http://tour.j-hoppers.com/

You can board the bus in front of the kawaguchiko stn
by skysurf rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/28 12:05
You are right, shrines are often closed by sunset.
But Hanazono shrine open till 8p.m.
Maybe there is at commercial area and their customers/users/followers are nighthawks?
Anyway he said that they sells goshuinchos at night.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/28 21:49
Don't miss the Robot Cafe in Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku. Your boyfriend will thank you for it!!
by Britgal rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/4/28 22:09
1) Kanazawa 21st Century Modern Art Museum. Right by Kenrokuen. Fantastic.

2) If you use buses, you can take a bus K'zawa to Shirakawa, spend an hour or two in Shirakawa, and then go on by bus to Takayama.

3) Don't miss visiting the excellent tourist info inside Kanazawa JR station. They'll sort you out.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 23 night October itinerary 2014/5/10 00:58
If you love minshuku, you can consider spending a night in SHirakawago instead of just a half day tour.

Nohi bus
http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.html

Shirakawago
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html

http://whenshetravelstheworld.blogspot.sg/2013/12/japans-golden-route-...
by wenwen0614 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread