Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/6 03:44
Does anybody know with certainty if there is an age restriction for the Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku? I checked their website and there was no information about that, so I assume there is none?

Dale
by Oenophile Angler  

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/6 13:41
No age restriction.

But only under 17(teen solo/group) cannot walk out/around after 11:00pm to 5am by law
except moving for back to home/hotel or taking night bus/train/flight.

by Satella (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/6 19:11
Surprisingly there is no age restriction at the Robot Restaurant. There's even a sticker on the doors saying children are welcome!! I would never take my kids into Kabuki cho, but I'm sure they would love to watch robots fighting with Kung Fu Panda!!
by Britgal rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/7 01:27
Thx much. I was asking because of my 17 year old daughter...

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/7 11:16
I bought my tickets (at a 1500 yen discount) from Japanican, and their listing says that there is an age restriction of 18+ but then later says that kid's under 5 are free. Either way, bringing a 17 year old shouldn't be a problem.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/7 11:28
Isn't it basically an overpriced show with girls in bikinis riding around on giant robots? Along with terrible food? Am I missing something?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/7 13:15
Well you had me at giant robots, so I guess the bikini girls and terrible food are just icing on the cake!

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/7 13:19
But yea, some of my friends have gone and said it's loud and kinda weird and really a whole lot of fun, so I'm really looking forward to checking it out. And discounted tickets can be had for around 4500-5000 yen, which I don't find all that bad for a dinner show.

Then again, I can see why lots of visitors would NOT be interested in going. Like I wouldn't take my parents there, and in fact, they'll be dining elsewhere while we're at the show.

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/8 06:37
Tony Bourdain says it is the greatest show on Earth. Serious!

The food is lousy, I hear, but that's not why people go there.

Thanks very very much for the tip on Japanican!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/31 05:36
Robot restaurant was probably one of the worse bits of entertainment I have ever experienced.
The food is awful. Limited menu, nachos seemed to be the most popular.
Lots of very loud drumming ( that is not talented whatsoever), bad singing of what seemed like Olivia Newton John hits ( the singers are wearing intergalactic outfits) and of course the panda fighting bad guys.
Spend your money elsewhere.
Oh yes, there was pole dancing as well. the girls were very good at hanging upside down and sideways, very athletic, but really?
by Catherine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/5/31 12:51
Can you tell me where can i find discount for tickets?
by tojapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/6/6 10:27
Discount tickets are available on Japanican:

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/list/?kw=Robot+Show&typecd=PRA&aff=EX...

Includes bento meal, bottle of water, and a free drink ticket.

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/6/6 15:46
So I finally made it out to see the show last week and thought I'd share my thoughts.

When you get there you'll first head to a waiting lounge that's decked out in sequins and mirrors and everything is so shiny and reflective, and there's a live band playing Japanese pop hits mixed in with Ghibli covers. The bathrooms were so ridiculously gaudy that it made my brain hurt.

Everything seemed well timed and executed. Just before the show everyone is ushered down a staircase that was decorated as if Ed Hardy came in and exploded all over the walls and ceilings. At the bottom is the show floor which looked way too small, and everyone sits on either side of the stage in assigned seats which seem way too close to the performance area. We were in the front row and I was definitely nudged a few times by the vehicles during the show.

If you go with a package plan then you get food, a bottled water, and a free drink. The food was as expected, just an unexceptional bento, but since it was included we didn't really care. I'd might have cared more if we had bought regular tickets and then had to pay for food on top of that, but we were smart and had eaten a little yakitori beforehand over in Piss Alley.

I found the show to be very entertaining. Obviously its not fine art, but if you watch their youtube videos you then you should know exactly what to expect (i.e. over the top dance show featuring bikini clad performers and robot/scifi themed). Others have mentioned the drumming, and I thought that the taiko drum sequence was pretty good (and I play).

Overall the experience ended up being a lot of ridiculous fun and quite a bit better than I had expected. Most surprising was that everything was done in English, though not as surprising when you realize that their audience is primarily foreigners. But I quite enjoyed it and would recommend it to others. Just look at the videos first to see if they appeal to you, cause if not you probably won't like the show.

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/6/6 15:49
Oh, and I'm still not sure about the age restriction, but I don't think I'd take young kids. It felt a little too loud and cramped to be enjoyable for them (or the parents).

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/6/8 08:42
I took my 15 year old daughter. No problems. She even got invited on stage to fight a giant robot. By the way, she was "selected" when we arrived. They asked if she'd like to do it and she was then given a special seat number. I guess they do that so they know where to shine the spotlight. Nothing is left to chance!
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/6/8 15:29
I was coaxed into going to this show... the others are correct, except I would like to add it was very loud, not worth it at any price and I feel a little dumber having went to it. Just search for the you tube video's and save yourself a big disappointment. What also isn't mentioned is you exit from another door in the rear much later in the evening.... I was separated from my group because of the lack of restroom facilities when I exited and as a result I was accosted by some Nigerian's trying to pull the go to this bar and get drugged and robbed scheme. The back door drops you off in the Shunjuku red light district and the scammer's are everywhere.

In summary I would not recommend it and I guarantee you won't see me there again.
by gunpilot rate this post as useful

Re: Robot Restaurant Age restriction? 2014/6/9 05:26
So it seems there's a few groups of people posting here:

1. Those that have no interest to go and haven't gone

2. Those that were not particularly interested or aware of what they were going to see, and went anyway

3.Those that knew what they were getting into before they saw the show

...and the takeaway is... that you're more likely to enjoy a show that you were actually interested in seeing in the first place. Not sure we needed such a long thread to figure that out.

by just preview it on youtube first (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread