Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/14 22:24
Good day,
I was rather interested in the Fukuoka yatai stands around the city but since my Japanese skills are a bit limited to most basic words it might be hard to do a conversation there (which I suppose they expect from the size of the stands). Would English work out or should I try any more "international" city like Tokyo or Kyoto?

What would be expected when visiting a yatai? Are there any unwritten "rules"? Or just come and go as you like? I want to be respectful and behave nice while in Fukuoka, not wanting to hurt anyone, that's why I ask.
by Senmon (guest)  

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/15 08:30
A lot of Japanese people speak limited English. Some speak good English. I haven't made a survey of the English skill of yatai workers in Fukuoka, but I doubt that many of them have good English skills. But I am sure that many of them have had foreign clients without Japanese skills before. Ordering shouldn't be a problem. Whether you will be able to have a conversation with the yatai personnel or other patrons will depend on their English skills and/or the amount of alcohol they have had. Sometimes you are lucky. Sometimes you are not.

Would English work out or should I try any more "international" city like Tokyo or Kyoto?

Yatai are much more difficult to find in these cities.

What would be expected when visiting a yatai? Are there any unwritten "rules"?

When it is crowded, don't stay too long without ordering more food.

Also, at the typical yatai, you start with some grilled food or other staff and finish up with a bowl of Hakata Ramen. But nobody cares if you do it differently.

Generally they are very easy-going places. Not much can go wrong.

If it is not busy, some yatai staff will try to wave you in.

Generally speaking, Sunday through Thursday are not busy, while Fridays and Saturdays are busy.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/15 09:45
I heard it is not cheap and it is for tourists.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/15 10:55
Ken is right. Almost nobody in the yatai is from Fukuoka. And the price-value for the food alone is questionable. Food quality seems to differ between yatai. But it is still a great experience.

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/15 10:57
Especially the ones around the riverside are very touristy and not of the greatest quality, I hear. The ones in other areas seem to be less touristy. But for tourists I recommend the riverside ones, nevertheless. It has the largest accumulation and is easiest to enter.

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/15 11:33
There are 2 main areas for the yatai. One is in Nakasu by the Naka River. Overall it has a more attractive atmosphere with the lights and reflection on the water. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1m8h0q3o0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2zs8IBdbM
If you want to eat more where the locals do, then head over to the Nagahama area (near the waterfront northwest of the Tenjin area). See:
http://www.tinyurl.com/see-fukuoka
Do they speak English easily? Very doubtful. But it is really not a problem. Just write out what you want, or point at what someone else is eating and they'll be happy to whip something up for you.
by Ken (not ken) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/15 18:59
Thank you so much for your replies everyone. Very helpful indeed!
by Senmon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka yatai, english? 2014/5/16 04:11
Touristy? Maybe. But as with most things in Japan, most of the "tourists" will be other Japanese people, and only a few foreigners. While there probably will be places with better quality or lower prices, I wouldn't say they're bad at all. And as a bonus you get a great atmosphere.

And English? Indeed at most yatai probably none. But if you just ask for Hakata ramen they will understand, and for most other stuff like yakatori you can point. And if they really don't understand, just try the next yatai.
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

reply to this thread