Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip to Nara on a weekday or weekend? 2014/5/16 04:51
Hello,
I will be in Kyoto from 29 May (Thu) to 03 June (Tue). Is it better to make a daytrip to Nara on Fri or Mon or at the weekend? When will it be probably less crowded?
Thanks in advance!
by orpheus80 (guest)  

Re: Day trip to Nara on a weekday or weekend? 2014/5/16 07:40
Weekdays are considerably less crowded. I recommend a visit on the weekday.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Nara on a weekday or weekend? 2014/5/16 09:47
It's true pretty much everywhere that weekdays are less crowded than weekends.

But the Nara crowds are really not bad, so I'd go on whichever day works best for your schedule.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Nara on a weekday or weekend? 2014/5/16 20:39
Thank you very much!
by orpheus80 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Nara on a weekday or weekend? 2014/5/17 02:54
I went to Nara two years ago duning cherry blossom season on the weekend, and it was very crowded.

Most of the time, each deer had around three children hovering around them, trying to get them to eat their wafer bar. The deer looked annoyed. I think each of them had already had 200-300 of the bars, and were stuffed.

The nice thing was, that it felt very festive, There were vendors selling roasted sweet potatoes and other things, and many people brought blankets and were just enjoying the afternoon under the cherry trees. It was much livelier than the year before, when I went mid-week in September.

I enjoyed my trip with the crowds better, but this is your vacation, and your choice.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Nara on a weekday or weekend? 2014/5/17 15:59
Yes, I agree that even though it is more crowded on the weekend, the crowds are usually Japanese families and busloads of schoolkids having fun so it is a really nice vibe - as long as you dont mind waiting for lunch! We usually stay there 3 days or so, so we get a mix. It is pretty quiet early (before 9AM) even on the weekends.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread