Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 02:29
Hi everyone.
This being the second time visiting Japan during the mid rainy season (late June-early July) I was seriously thinking of doing a hike to the mt Fuji summit.

Having read through the Japan Guide information on the climbing I am well aware on climbing gear and clothing.

I will be in Tokyo (after travelling around parts of Japan) from 8 to 16th, so climbing will occure around those dates.

The biggest problem might be the clothing, since I am packed for travel in muggy weather, with few sweatshirts, most t-shirts (cottong) and longpants, as well as a light jacket and waterproof shoes and a cap.

They say recommended is putting on thin layers as you ascend the mountain.

Is it possible to find clothes suitable to climbing and adapting to the colder temperature for hire or the like?

Since I will only be there for a "short part of my trip" I would prefer not to bring too much bulky clothes from home.

Since I possibly will not be able to return to Japan during summer months I would prefer to take this opportunity to go to Fuji at least once in my life.
by Fuji-kun (guest)  

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 12:12
Whether there is a size of you, I do not know.
However, this shop is rented.
http://lamont.jp/en/
If you buy, Ishii Sports
http://www.ici-sports.com/shop/
Montbell
http://en.montbell.jp/
And is famous.
Better I took always good rain gear Gore-Tex and headlight.
Please refer to this place as well.
http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/index.html
http://www.fujisan.ne.jp/index_e.php
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 12:43
Yoshida Route is only the route opened during you stay(between July 1st and 14th September), the other three routes open from 10th July until 10th September. Thus you need to book a hut in Yoshida route.

Climbing over a 3000m mountain is not hiking. I don't recommend you to climb unless you have proper equipment.
You also need to send a climbing plan and report to Shizuoka police department before you climb in case of death. More than 100 climbers involved in accidents on Mt Fuji last year with 10 climbers killed.

I recommend you to go hiking on Mt Takao instead.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 13:21
Are you planning on doing the climb in one day or hiking overnight to see the sunrise? If you plan to do it in a day trip then your cold weather gear will be more for emergency use and could be more flexible in what you bring. If you are hiking overnight then you'll definitely need a jacket and pants at least as it gets quite cold at the summit.

Yoshida Route is only the route opened during you stay(between July 1st and 14th September), the other three routes open from 10th July until 10th September. Thus you need to book a hut in Yoshida route.

The facilities along the trails tend to open a few days early than the official dates, but not everything follows that pattern. And the trails themselves can be climbed outside the season if weather and snow conditions allow.

Booking a hut isn't necessary unless you want to do the hike overnight in two stages.

Climbing over a 3000m mountain is not hiking. I don't recommend you to climb unless you have proper equipment.

Climbing Fuji is not difficult for a reasonably fit person. The trail is a no-brainer to follow, especially during the day during the peak season when the endless trail of people makes it extremely hard to get lost. While it isn't particularly strenuous, it is long and hot and some of the biggest worries are altitude sickness and heat stroke. Take breaks, keep hydrated, and be aware of your body. Go back down if you are not feeling good.

As for gear, in summer you need proper footwear, water, and cold weather/rain gear in case of a turn in weather.

You also need to send a climbing plan and report to Shizuoka police department before you climb in case of death.

Only when you climb in the off season.

I recommend you to go hiking on Mt Takao instead.

No need to be overly cautious. Mount Fuji is real hiking, but it's an easy mountain to climb and quite built up along the way. My only recommendation is to do the overnight hike. It's way more interesting than the daytime hike.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 15:50
Be added to the previous comment, I climbed Mount Fuji is seven years ago.
39-year-old when I climbed, I am a woman.
In August, I climbed the tour.
At that time, I was wearing 6-7 pieces of perhaps the summit.
But I was wearing a long 1-2 pieces and long-sleeved T-shirt in the 5-6 th Go.
Below was wearing a climbing pants and tights.
Should I wore clothes that is easy to take off is good to you.
Once in the mountains of 2000m or more, twice in the mountains of 1000m or more, climbing my experience, is Takao afterward.
Before climbing Mount Fuji, I went to practice in the mountains of 1000m or more.
Of course, there are many who climbed Mount Fuji even if you have never climbed the mountain, it is better to practice, the better.
In my case, cold and thinness of the air was hard than to climb.
Do not climb early first is important.
Most importantly it is climbing shoes.
that you get used to the shoes before climbing is important.
Drugstores, please by all means buy a disposable(tsukaisute) Cairo.

by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 17:59
Hey Fuji-kun,

If you're looking at renting gear for your climb up Mt. Fuji check out this link https://www.fujimountainguides.com/mount-fuji-rentals-reservation-requ...

The gear is sent to your place of residence in japan at least 3 days before your intended climbing date. There is a prepaid return label included in the package received which allows you to send back your rentals from almost any convenience store or post office in the country. Its a pretty simple method, so I would suggest checking it out.

As for climbing July 8-16, you don't need to submit a climbing request form to the local police, as one person in this thread had mentioned. The climbing season will already be well under way by this point, with all of the moutnain huts, save the one's at the summit (open on July 10th).

Happy climbing!

Fuji Mountain Guides
by FujiMountainGuide rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 18:15
I am well aware of the altitude sickness and to bring plenty of water as well as resting often.

The kind of shoes I will bring are rather light trail shoes rainproof (as told), so I suppose renting a pair is needed.

What bugs me the most however is the clothes to bring. I am leaving for Japan on 23rd of June so if I manage to prepare as much clothes as possible for a climb before that would be a relief.

I see different ideas in clothing, some say cotton some say no cotton. I am most used to cotton so other fabric is unfamiliar.

As main Japan is humid and warm I pack thin cotton mostly. No rain coat (would be too muggy) just a light jacket (water proof).

Mount Fuji Tour Guides recommended:

• Inner layer (non cotton underwear (long))
• Outer layer (non cotton t-shirt/pants (like nylon, sportswear...)
• Isolating layer (longsleeved wool/fleece shirt)
• Shell layer (wind/rain proof jacket and pants, gore-tex or other breathing material (simple plastic rain gear for 500 yen each could be okay)
• Socks (non cotton)

If I could find some while in Japan would be great as I have mostly cotton packed.. (some non cotton shirts)
by Fuji kun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/10 22:22
Fuji Guides and everyone else, thank you for your replies. Seems I posted nearly same time as you did Fuji Guides, I will look into the link.

I looked through my wardrobe right now, what is found is mostly polyester or polyester/cotton mix shirts. Also a longsleeved rather thin shirt of "acrylic".

Then what I use for thermal layer as I thought were fleece was in fact... polyester...

Not too sure what use such materials would do. If no use, I leave at home, unless polyester can be useful in humid climate.
by Fiujikun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/11 00:06
I climbed Fuji-san last year on July 1st, opening day. The weather was 15 degrees Celsius on the ground, and as I ascended it got cooler, but because I was working my body, I got very warm and shed my layers quickly. I wore thick hiking socks to prevent blisters, good hiking boots, thermal underwear, nylon shell pants, a thin t-shirt, a hoodie, and a shell jacket that was waterproof over top. The only thing I would change about that outfit is the weight of my hiking boots, but I bought them years ago and some of the models available now have good grip as well as being made from a lightweight material to decrease fatigue.

I recommend you climb Fuji-san during the day. While the weather is better in July, you will not run the risk of going into the hut to sleep for a few hours and waking up to rain that would prevent you from continuing.

That, and you need a headlamp to climb in the dark as Fuji-san is NOT lit by lamps along the path way, and Yoshida is a tough trail to climb. You only walk flat pathways for the first 30 minutes or so, then the trail gets very steep, very quickly and at more than a few points you need to scramble over smooth rocks that can be quite slippery. Good footwear is absolutely essential when climbing so that you do not sprain or twist a knee or an ankle.

You'll save money not staying in a hut as well, and you'll more than make up for it buying bottles of water at each hut as you summit, or at the gift shop when you descend.
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/11 01:11
According to what I heard climbing without resting at night is not recommended. So I would prefer to do so for my safety as I am not a very experienced hiker used to climbing in thin air. And as I am climbing by myself, maybe better to meet people if you see what I mean. But of course we are all different.

Of course if the weather says rain in night and morning I would probably not go, but that's what raining gear are for right?

Seems most considering renting at least shoes and maybe backpack (mine is big as to fit under the seat of a normal airplane) in Japan, but of course I could bring with me thermal underwear, socks, headlight, and t-shirt and perhaps thermal longsleeved shirt.
by Fuji-kun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/17 13:32
Climbing Fuji starts from 1st July, and I am leaving Tokyo on 2nd July. Was wondering if I can climb on 30th night, check out sunrise and get back to TOkyo by 1st Eve!

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
by RK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/17 14:19
Climbing Fuji starts from 1st July, and I am leaving Tokyo on 2nd July. Was wondering if I can climb on 30th night, check out sunrise and get back to TOkyo by 1st Eve!

Yes it is possible. Note that some of the facilities will not be open yet as mentioned earlier in this thread.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing mt. Fuji questions 2014/6/17 15:20
As far as hut vs no hut, it's really a personal choice. It is NOT a necessity to stay at a hut, even if you are hiking at night. Of course you should takes rests along the way as you climb, but 10-15 minutes periodically goes a long way. Sleeping is not necessary.

As far as the jacket goes, you can buy coats and heated underarmor in Japan, but it'd probably be much cheaper to buy them in your home country and if you don't want them afterwards to dispose of them so you don't have to take them home. I assume you'll be packing light, so there would be room in your luggage for the coat. It's very cold at the top and weather conditions will also affect that. If you want to see the sunrise, you'll probably want to get there earlier than the actual sunrise, so you'll definitely be affected by the cold as your body cools down. If you go up and down during the daytime, a lighter jacket could possibly be enough.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread