Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best transportation to use inside Kyoto 2014/6/16 06:12
Hi, my fiancee and I are going to Japan for the first time, from Brazil. We're staying in Kyoto for 3 days + 1 for Nara.

I was seeing the suggested itineraries from japan-guide for Kyoto, and was wondering what's the best way to visit the city.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950.html

The atractions appear to be a little far from each other. Am I right or it's ok to do all the trips by foot? If not, what's the best transportation, bus, subway?

Tks.
by glribeiro  

Re: Best transportation to use inside Kyoto 2014/6/16 08:49
I recommend to plan your days in a way that you can cover a lot on foot. When using public transportation, I recommend to use rail bound transportation over buses whenever possible, because buses in Kyoto are slow and crowded. I also recommend taxis for shorter distances (or longer ones if the budget allows). Some people also like to explore Kyoto by bicycle.

More basics about orientation in Kyoto can be found in the second half of the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Best transportation to use inside Kyoto 2014/6/16 08:53
I enjoyed Kyoto with a bike. It's waaaay too big to just go on foot. I didn't travel by bus or subway. If you travel by bike the temples have special parking, just purchase a 200 Y day parking pass good for all major temple bike lots.
by Hi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best transportation to use inside Kyoto 2014/6/16 12:42
My personal experience is to take a train or bus to an area. Walk the whole area (4 to 6 attractions). Take train or bus to another area. Repeat till sun sets. Take train or bus back to hotel. JapanGuide has listed attraactions based on regions. Although public transport is faster, if you can walk much and fast, on foot is nice. Kyoto isn't that big
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Best transportation to use inside Kyoto 2014/6/16 13:41
We have always tended to take a taxi to a particular site then walk from there, eg a taxi to Ginkakuji then walk along Philosopher's Path to Nanzenji. But it depends on where you are staying. We generally stay around the Higashiyama area, so we can walk to Kiyomizudera then walk from there to the Gion area. But essentially I wouldn't knock myself out getting to a place on foot because you do so much walking once you get there. And taxis are generally $12 - $20 for most trips.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best transportation to use inside Kyoto 2014/6/17 00:45
I recommend bus, although it's slower than subway, most of the tourist attractions have a bus stop nearby whereas subway stations are limited.

Moreover, bus is slightly cheaper, a one day pass costs 500 yen aprox.

by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread