Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Indonesian tourist driving in Japan 2014/6/16 12:56
Hi everyone,
I have question and would like to seek an answer, I will be travelling in Japan next July. During my period of travelling, I would like to rent a car. For that reason, I should obtain the International Driving Permit, from Indonesian authority (because my driver's license is issued in Indonesia). Unfortunately, I found out that IDP issued by Indonesian authority is not based on Geneva convention (it is based on the Vienna convention).

So my question is, will it still be possible to rent a car, under that circumstances? Is there any exemption on such issue, because It is not both countries do not ratifying any international agreement on road traffic, but merely because they ratify different convention?

Thanks in advance!
by IDdriver (guest)  

Re: Indonesian tourist driving in Japan 2014/6/16 13:50
So my question is, will it still be possible to rent a car, under that circumstances?

Unfortunately no, you will not be able to rent a car. And assuming the rental agency overlooked your IDP and gave you a car, it would be illegal for you to drive it.

Is there any exemption on such issue, because It is not both countries do not ratifying any international agreement on road traffic, but merely because they ratify different convention?

There would need to be a bilateral agreement in place like with Switzerland, Taiwan, etc. Since there isn't you're only recourse would be to get a Japanese Driver's License, which is impractical for a tourist.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Indonesian tourist driving in Japan 2014/6/16 16:12
Thank your for the answer
by IDdriver (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread