Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/21 10:31
Hello all, myself and two friends are travelling to Japan for the first time this July for 16 days. We are all early 20's and are very fit, we all compete in endurance sports at a high level... We understand that it is not recommended that you climb the mountain in just one day though we figure considering we are young and healthy, our bodies/lungs will be more likely to adapt to the change in altitude and the estimated ascent/descent times may not be as applicable for us as they would be for the average climber.

Second, we will be travelling from Tokyo. We have a JR pass, so our intention is to wake up very early travel to the mountain and return to Tokyo late in the evening (depending how long it takes).

So ?! Is it possible ?! Do you think that our plans are too ambitious ? Regardless of the fact that we are fit is the goal still too difficult? Second, is travelling to and from Tokyo in one day to do it even possible considering latest available train/bus times (we don't mind catching transport options in the very early hours of the night/morning). Although our aspirations may be noble, we don't want to risk doing anything blatantly stupid.

Thanks heaps, Rudisha !!
by Rudisha  

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/21 10:53
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt. Fuji 2014/6/21 11:14
Do you think that our plans are too ambitious ?

Yes.
The risk exists in overconfidence and carelessness rather than in your physical aspects, I suppose.

We have a JR pass

You cannot reach Mt. Fuji with any JR pass.
You need to know possible routes and maximum required time before setting a goal.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html
Which area in Tokyo would you start from?

I hope travelers from overseas would never get lost or fall down in this highest, representative and symbolic mountain of my country.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/21 12:53
The question is not your fitness.
It has to do with attitude sickness.
Dizziness from the constant change in pressure. If however, you do not suffer from attitude sickness then it is all good. You can do it in a day.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/21 15:57
It's possible and if you don't live at sea level, you would be unlucky to get altitude sickness. Your best bet is to take the Shinjuku to Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station bus (http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji_season.html)which leaves about 7:40 AM from the bus station on the west side of Shinjuku Station and next to the post office. It takes you up to the 5th station on the north side. From there, if you don't have crowds, it will take about 5 hours going up and about 4 coming down. If you like to glissade on talus the size of pea gravel, the descent can be sped up by going off trail and doing a lot of jumping. From the 5th station, you can get a ride or a bus down into Kawaguchiko, take the Fujikyu Line to Otsuki where you can use your JR Pass on the JR Chuo Line back to Tokyo.

You could also descend to the Fujinomiya 5th on the south side, catch a ride to Fujinomiya for a JR Line back with the option of catching a Kodama Shinkansen back at Shin-Fuji.

The main reason people stay the night is to watch the sunrise. I did this one-day route once and got back home in Tokyo at nightfall.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/21 19:25
We are based in shibuya, Tokyo and yes I figured that the JR pass will not help us, so I was hoping someone could tell us alternate transport options.

Also how long would it take go from the 1st station ? Is that totally out of the question?

Cheers,
by Rudisha rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/22 04:56
I've only hiked from the first station from Fujiyoshida. At that time, the stations were really interesting because they were all falling down - picture collapsing shrines with a big bronze incense burner with smoking incense. Apparently, foresters or somebody occasionally wander by to light some up. Most of the route was through planted cedar which wasn't too interesting as the mono-culture of all the pine trees left a barren forest floor.

I think this would add another 4-6 hours to get to the 5th station from the Sengen Shrine, the start of the Tozando route. If you add that to the 5 hours from the 5th to the top, plus the time to get there from Tokyo, you're out of time to get back and would have to spend a night somewhere on the mountain. I camped out off the trail in the forest.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji one day?! 2014/6/25 10:33
We are all early 20's and are very fit, we all compete in endurance sports at a high level... We understand that it is not recommended that you climb the mountain in just one day though we figure considering we are young and healthy, our bodies/lungs will be more likely to adapt to the change in altitude and the estimated ascent/descent times may not be as applicable for us as they would be for the average climber.

The warnings about one day climbing are really aimed at the low/average Mount Fuji climber, which tend to range from the weekend hiker down to the completely inexperienced. Experienced hikers such as yourselves will have no problem doing the one day climb and will probably be able to complete the hike toward the faster end of the estimated time ranges given on this page (crowds allowing):

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

The biggest issue is altitude sickness, so just be aware of it and maybe try to pre-acclimate if you know that you are prone to getting altitude sickness.

Second, we will be travelling from Tokyo. We have a JR pass, so our intention is to wake up very early travel to the mountain and return to Tokyo late in the evening (depending how long it takes).

The bus will be the limited factor, and at best you'll only be able to get a 7:30 start. Better to head closer to the mountain and maybe utilize a taxi so that you can start the climb earlier. Definitely try to avoid climbing during the day as the trail is completely exposed. Better yet, do the overnight hike and see the sunrise from the mountain peak. The night route would also simplify accessing the mountain as you'll have many more bus connections.

Also how long would it take go from the 1st station ? Is that totally out of the question?

The Yoshida Trail starts at Fujiyoshida Sengen Shrine and would add 4-5 hours to the climb for strong hikers. It's definitely doable, but frankly there's not much to see along the lower part of the trail and a lot of it just follows along the road.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread