Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need advise concerning Haneda airport 2014/6/27 13:27
Hello guys,

Hope to get some advice here pls.

I am travelling to Tokyo 1st time. I will be arriving at Haneda airport at 06:30 and leaving from Haneda airport at 22:55 on an international flight. I have not book my hotel yet. I have few questions:

1. Which trains will be most convenient and straight forward (Tokyo monorail or Keikyu train) for tourist with baggage to departure and arrive Haneda airport?
2. Is there any train ticket with subway discount card (unlimited usage or whatever) available for tourist?
3. Will my travelling (due to arrival and departure timing) clashes with the morning and evening peak hour and caused inconvenience?
4. If yes to Qn 3, then is it advisable for me to stay at hotel near Shinagawa station (for Keikyu train) or Hamamasutcho station (for Tokyo monorail) for convenience sake?
5. Lastly, my departure flight is 22:55, should I leave for airport around 5pm?

Sorry for my tons of questions. Appreciate whatever advices and tips here!
by ThomasC (guest)  

Re: Need advise concerning Haneda airport 2014/6/27 14:18
If you're arriving and departing the same day, do you really want to book a hotel? Haneda Airport has showers (Y800) and private rest areas that charge Y1000 per hour. It's not cheap, but it's probably less than a hotel for a few hours unless you plan to sleep all day. Most hotels don't have check-in until 3 or 4 PM so you couldn't check in at 7:30 AM and sleep until 5PM. A few have 1 PM check-in. The earlier the check in, the higher the price.

If you want to go into the city for shopping or sight-seeing, I would check my bags onto my next flight (if a counter is open) because that wouldn't cost anything, or find the baggage check area and leave them there and then head into town.

The monorail takes you into Hamamatsucho on a high rail line (although the sights aren't very great along the way) from where you can get the Yamanote Line to most of the main areas of downtown Tokyo (Ueno, Tokyo, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro). The Keikyu Line is a subway toward downtown and can get you to Shinagawa to pick up the Yamanote.

The Tokyo Free Kippu for Y1590 will give you one day's unlimited use of subways and trains. Your options are shown here at:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

Your 22:50 flight is past evening rush hour, but your arrival will put you right in the morning rush, which begins about 7 AM depending on where you are (If I got the 7:07AM train I got a seat. If I got the next at 7:12, I stood all the way hanging onto a strap.)

There are many hotels around Otori, 2 stops from Haneda on the Keikyu, some of which have free morning shuttles to the airport. However, you're going to have a check in problem unless your flight is the next day and not the same day. If you stay in a hotel here, you can leave for the airport at around 21:00.
by kokumamushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advise concerning Haneda airport 2014/6/27 14:34
Oops....sorry. I forgot to mention. I am staying 6 days in Tokyo. Sorry!
by ThomasC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advise concerning Haneda airport 2014/6/27 14:38
Hi Kokumamushi, sorry to cause you to write under the impression that I am leaving within the same day. However, some of your info here is great tips for me...thanks a lot!!

Re: Need advise concerning Haneda airport 2014/6/27 14:42
1. Which trains will be most convenient and straight forward (Tokyo monorail or Keikyu train) for tourist with baggage to departure and arrive Haneda airport?

Depends on what side of Tokyo you decide to stay. Eastern side (Tokyo Station, etc.) is easier by monorail, Western side (Shinjuku, Shibuya) may be easier by Keikyu.

2. Is there any train ticket with subway discount card (unlimited usage or whatever) available for tourist?

There are several 1 day tickets, but they are very hard to make pay off. Generally speaking, you are best off purchasing individual tickets.

4. If yes to Qn 3, then is it advisable for me to stay at hotel near Shinagawa station (for Keikyu train) or Hamamasutcho station (for Tokyo monorail) for convenience sake?

I don't think that's necessary.

5. Lastly, my departure flight is 22:55, should I leave for airport around 5pm?

No, that's waaaaaaaaaaay too early unless you plan to eat and shop for a few hours before your flight. It also puts you into rush hour. Leave more like 7pm if you prefer to be there early, or as late as 9pm if you live dangerously and like to cut things close.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Need advise concerning Haneda airport 2014/6/29 10:08
Thank for great advice, yllwsmrf!

reply to this thread