Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai 7days 2014/6/28 16:50
I'm staying 7n near Uhmeda/ Osaka Stn and will make day trips to Kyoto, Arashiyama and Nara. Which pass should I get as I'd noticed most passes are 1-4days.
I'm thinking of
1)-'Icoca' & 'Haruka'combo to be used for arrival and departure to airport and in between local subways in Osaka. KIX to Tennoji stn with JR Haruka and Jr Osaka Loopline to reach Osaka Stn which is close to my hotel. I gather Haruka will cover the whole journey as long as I didn't exit the gate.
2)My plans are to make daily trips x3 to Kyoto and Arashiyama with 1 day trip to Nara.
Can't decide which pass is more suitable from Osaka. I gather it'll be a 4days pass combo.
Please advise if my no.1 decision is correct and which more valued pass to use for no.2. Thank you.
by mimoko  

Re: Kansai 7 days 2014/6/28 21:16
You will fly into and fly out from Kansai Airport [KIX], right?

Regarding No. 2:
Arashiyama area is a part of Kyoto City.
You will not need any regional transportation pass for the four daytrips, unless you plan to visit places outside the flat-fare bus zone in Kyoto City or outside that in Nara City.
If I were in your shoes, I would stay near Kyoto Station during the four days (i.e. for the three nights).
JR Ltd. Express "Haruka" connects Kansai-airport and Kyoto.

How is the rest of your itinerary?

Regarding No. 1:
An ICOCA & Haruka package includes no pass.
: A one-way package is composed of one ticket to travel from KIX to Kyoto / Osaka / Kobe and one ICOCA Card.
: A roundtrip package includes two tickets to travel from and to KIX.
: Any of these tickets does not allow its holder to turn back or make a stopover outside gates.
: An ICOCA Card does not give a discount; it can save a passenger time and trouble to purchase and handle paper tickets for every short-distance ride.

[No. 2: Assessment]

A combination of an ICOCA Card (with enough e-money stored) + bus passes sounds better than a regional transportation pass.

A Kansai Thru Pass is a non-JR transportation pass. A 2-day pass is available for 4000 yen, and a 3-day pass is available for 5200 yen. However, you will not need any of them for the four daytrips because you can make a Kyoto daytrip for 1300 yen and a Nara daytrip for 1960 yen using non-JR bus and railroad lines.

A 4-day JR-West Kansai Area Pass is available for 6170 yen. However, it cannot pay off in the eight intercity train rides, neither can it be used on bus lines in Kyoto City or on bus lines in Nara City.

I do not think of any other regional transportation pass which can be used in the four daytrips.

[No. 2: When you start from Osaka Station or Umeda Station]

# Regular fares covered by an ICOCA Card
: 560 yen per way to travel by JR on Osaka -- Kyoto
or, 400 yen per way to travel by Hankyu on Umeda -- Karasuma / Kawaramachi.
: 670 yen per way to travel by JR and Kintetsu on Osaka -- Tsuruhashi -- Kintetsu-nara
or, 730 yen per way to travel by subway and Kintetsu on Umeda -- Namba -- Tsuruhashi -- Kintetsu-nara.
# Prices of bus passes
: 500 yen per day on a Kyoto City Bus - Kyoto Bus One-day Pass to be used in the flat-fare zone, which can cover bus rides to and from many major tourist spots (including those in Arashiyama Area).
: 500 yen per day on a Nara Kotsu one-day bus pass to be used in the flat-fare zone, which can cover bus rides to and from many major tourist spots.
# Total
: 6700 yen if you can choose JR (= 3 x (2 x 560 yen + 500 yen) + (2 x 670 yen + 500 yen)).
: 5860 yen if you cannot choose JR (= 3 x (2 x 400 yen + 500 yen) + (2 x 730 yen + 500 yen)).

[No. 2: When you start from Kyoto Station or a nearby bus stop]

# Regular fares covered by an ICOCA Card
: 620 yen per way to travel by JR and Kintetsu on Kyoto -- Kintetsu-nara.
# Prices of bus passes
: (the same as when you start from Osaka Station or Umeda Station.)
# Total
: 3240 yen (= 3 x 500 yen + (2 x 620 yen + 500 yen)).

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2014/6/28 21:23
NOT
: 620 yen per way to travel by JR and Kintetsu on Kyoto -- Kintetsu-nara.
BUT
: 620 yen per way to travel by Kintetsu on Kyoto -- Kintetsu-nara.

Re: Kansai 7days 2014/6/29 11:11
Thank you for your reply.
We've already booked for 7n in Osaka and still looking for suitable within budget place in Kyoto as it's the peak season.
Our current plan is visiting Osaka and Kyoto, mainly for cherry blossoms sighting. We've another plan to return in autumn 2015 and will cover more places later.
Meantime,
1) May I ask if 'Haruka' which stop at Tennoji stn and Jr Osaka loop line stn is within the same area (to avoid exiting the stn.) Can't find info on this.
2) From your assessment, if I'm staying in Osaka, I presumed it's recommended to just stick to individual ticket without getting any regional pass, right?
Thank you for computing all the costs required.
by mimoko rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai 7 days 2014/6/29 14:11
In Tennoji Station (of JR), you can switch at the same platform from a Ltd. Express "Haruka" (arriving at Track 18) to a Local train (departing at Track 18 or 17) on Osaka Loop Line (outer loop, clockwise).
You will not get outside ticket gates of Tennoji Station, so you can continue using a ticket in your ICOCA & Haruka package to Osaka Station, where "Haruka" trains do not make a stop.

On the way back you may have to change platforms in Tennoji Station. ("Haruka" trains bound for Kansai-airport depart usually at Track 15 of Tennoji Station.)

it's recommended to just stick to individual ticket without getting any regional pass, right?

I think so, as long as train rides are concerned. And, each of you can utilize an ICOCA Card instead of purchasing individual tickets. (Please make sure to keep enough e-money stored on it.)
Each of the one-day bus passes (500 yen) for your Kyoto trip and Nara trip pays off in three or more rides.

By the way, will the travelers include a kid under 13?

Re: Kansai 7days 2014/6/29 15:10
Thank you very much for your input. It has been extremely helpful with our planning and research. We're 2 adults and this is our 2nd trip to Japan. (1st was Tokyo).
by mimoko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread