Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/3 17:03
I am a little confused with the ETC card system in Japan. As a tourist that will self drive.. do I apply before going?

Also, I see that some car rental companies packaging ToCoo and Toyota cars there is an item where ETC is packaged but then there are separate charges like a daily fee and actual toll fee exclude. Is that the card reader or the card?

What's are the actual charges? seems pretty expensive if I add them all up
by himawari13  

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/3 23:05
AFAIK, you won't be able to use the ETC system as a tourist using a hire car.

You'll just pay the tolls in cash on the spot as you go through the gates...
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/3 23:45
Thanks Saru Bob. However the ToCoo website http://www2.tocoo.jp/en/contents/etc/index states it could be used?
by himawari13 rate this post as useful

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/4 02:06
In certain region tourists can use ETC and you.can rent car that come equipped .Hokkaido and Chubu regions presently have promotions that ca rental companies will collect money from us/tourists and special promotions up to 14 days and discount come out over.40 % of original cash prices which are very helpful.Check car renting companies of these regions or directly to tourist organizations of these regions
by phim rate this post as useful

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/4 09:42
ETC cards are credit cards, which means to apply you must fill out a credit card application, have a Japanese bank account, credit, etc. ETC readers are actually installed into a car, not a sticker like is common in the US, for example. And even if you have a card, if you do not have an ETC reader you don't get any sort of discount, so you need both. So for a tourist to get one is pretty much impossible on their own.

However like a previous poster said, some car rental companies have ETC-supplied cars. Check to make sure, because some of these cars come with just the readers, i.e. you need to bring and use your own card. Others can arrange for both, and the renter just pays for the tolls used when they drop the car off. So make sure you clarify with the rental company that you need both ETC reader AND ETC card.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/4 11:46
I am a little confused with the ETC card system in Japan. As a tourist that will self drive.. do I apply before going?

No, tourists can't apply for ETC cards. But they can rent them through various agencies and car rental outlets. You've aready mentioned ToCoo, and there's also Japan Experience.

http://www.japan-experience.com/car-rental/our-cars/etc-card?ap=j0095g

Alternatively, there are special ETC passes aimed at foreign travellers. There's one for Hokkaido:

http://www.e-nexco.co.jp/news/hep/

Also, I see that some car rental companies packaging ToCoo and Toyota cars there is an item where ETC is packaged but then there are separate charges like a daily fee and actual toll fee exclude. Is that the card reader or the card?

It's the reader. The card usually has to be ordered separately and are only available at certain outlets like Shin-Chitose Airport.

What's are the actual charges? seems pretty expensive if I add them all up

The rental is typically very cheap. The tolls are either the regular price or discounted depending on when you travel, so at worst you'll pay as much as if you didn't use an ETC card.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/8 12:06
i have just been informed me that they had ran out of ETC cards for rental as its the busy summer period.

do i stop at the toll booths to pay cash without one?
by himawari13 rate this post as useful

Re: ETC Card for Driving in Japan 2014/7/8 12:42
Yes, that is exactly how to do it. Unfortunately, in that case there will be no discounts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread