Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/3 19:08
I will be visiting Osaka on a 4 day trip with my wife and our 1-yr baby. Since we are traveling with a baby, we would like to have a relaxed itinerary focused around modern city-sights, culture, food, and some shopping. We would like to visit only 2-3 major temples and not too many (I guess Kyoto can be an exception). Our plan is to see major attractions in Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka (we'll skip Kobe), such as:

Osaka: Castle, River Cruise, Dotonburi, Namba, Floating Garden, Tempozan Ferris Wheel, Sumiyoshi Taisha (We'll skip Universal studios)
Kyoto: Kinakaku-ji Temple, Gion area, Kiyomizu-dera temple, Golden Pavillion, Nijo-jo Castle, Kyoto Gosho, Arashiyama and Sagano district, Higashiyama, Arashiyama
Nara: Deer garden, Todaiji Temple, Yoshikien Garden,

Can someone advise:

1) If this itinerary looks doable ? Or is too packed?
2) Which is the best way to schedule this itinerary - (what to see first, where to go from there etc)
3) Are there any major attractions not included above?
4) Is it possible to add a quick trip to Shirakwa-go Historic village into the itinerary?
5) Any other helpful and practical information.

Thank you.
Bob
by bobb14  

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/3 20:40
I am going to be absolutely honest with you. If you are going to Japan for the first time (with or without knowing Japanese), this itinerary is not even close to possible to be achieved. I went to Osaka a month ago, without following a tour. I'll share my opinion and advice you for the best.

Answers:
1) It is extremely too packed. Your trip is too time restrained and it is extremely tiring because you are carrying a baby. Japan is a small country but it is a country full of attractions across the country, this is something you should be aware of. By across the country, I meant the attractions are scattered all over Japan. However, train and subway services are very convenient in Japan so that solves the problem! Again, you are going to find yourself spending almost the whole day on trains/ subways (according to what I see from your itinerary).

2) Considering you are traveling with a baby and only a short duration of 4 days. My best suggestion is restrict only to Kyoto (other than the Gion, there are 3 must-visit temples: Ginkakuji/Kinkakuji/Kiyomizu) and Osaka (you won't be able to visit all the places either).

P.S. The 3 mentioned temples require a long walking distance from the stations. For time conserving purpose (and for the baby + you are willing to spend a little), go for the cab.

3) No, you've pretty much listed all of the attractions.

4) Sorry, but judging by your limited duration of the trip, no.

5) Unless you have access to Internet in Japan, else, you really, really NEED a map (complete with subway lines, train lines). I suggest you should choose accommodation close to the train/subway stations for easy access (unless you are going to travel by bus or cab).
by 0124 CR rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/3 21:02
What is the date of your travel? As 0124 CR wrote, your plan is too packed and to advice we would like to know the exact date. There are some busy days and the plan will be influenced by the weather.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/3 22:17
@0124CR:
Thank you very much for such a detailed and helpful reply. I really appreciate your honest analysis. As you suggested, I will cut down to 3 must-do items each in Osaka and Kyoto and probably drop Nara.
And you are right that this is my first visit to Japan.

In your opinion, what are the must-see/do attractions in Osaka and Kyoto that are doable for someone in my situation?

@Frog1954: Thanks. I will be arriving Osaka/KIX on 17/Jul/2014 early morning (1.00 am) and leaving Osaka/KIX on 20/Jul at 9.00 pm.

Regards,
Bob
by bobb14 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/3 23:07
Then you will stay 16/17 night at around Kansai Airport. You will have 3 night stay, 17, 18 and 19.

Have you already booked hotels?

I think you might better buy Icoca & Haruka package

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruk...

and go directly to Kyoto first. Stay Kyoto one or two nights and then go back to Osaka.

17th Go to Kyoto by Haruka limited express. Explore Kyoto.
18th Explore Kyoto
19th Move to Osaka. If you still have energy, you can go to Nara before heading to Osaka.
20th Explore Osaka with Osaka amazing pass.
http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

Take Haruka to KIX.

Since you have not so much time and you are with your baby, you should minimize the transportation time. Please find hotels near convenient train station such as JR Kyoto station. As for Osaka, hotels near Tennoji might be nice since Haruka stops at Tennoji.

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/4 00:24
Your alternative option for Kyoto (which is what I would do) is to pick a hotel near to e.g. Gion/Pontocho and use a taxi to get there and back from the train station on the days you arrive and depart.

The train station area in Kyoto is quite popular, but it's quite a way from the centre of town and contains very little worth seeing, in my opinion.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/4 05:29
Forgot to mention 17th July is the date for Gion Matsuri.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3942.html

However, the room rate is not so expensive for 17th July. As WinterVisitor wrote, you might better think of staying near Gion where you can enjoy the atmosphere of the Gion Matsuri.

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/4 13:41
You should focus more on Kyoto instead because there is where all the attractions are. From my experience, Osaka can give you the best experience for shopping and food but I doubt you will do much shopping when you are having a baby with you.

For convenience, you should find a hotel in Kyoto. The 3 temple I mentioned in my previous post and the Gion area are scattered around Kyoto. Like I mentioned before, it will be the best to find a hotel close to the train/subway station only if you decided to live in Osaka where all the great experience of food, city night view etc.

Due to the fact that attractions in Kyoto are scattered around, I can't exactly give a good accommodation advice because transportation is less convenient than in Osaka. Cab or bus is going to be your best choice unless you won't mind walking long distance.

In Kyoto, the must visit attractions are the Gion area (where you get a chance to see Geishas walking on the streets in kimonos), Kinkakuji temple, Ginkakuji temple and Kiyomizu temple. Judging from my experience (living in Osaka + train/subway + walking long distance), you need at least 3 days to visit all these places. Temples close around 4-5pm and they only opens at 10am, adding up the time to reach the destination, half of the day is gone but the trip is very relaxed (the weather is not hot during my visit, I am not sure about July, if you decided to walk. the weather is going to be a real problem too).

Other than these places, if you really have time to spare, go Arashiyama although I recommend the visit only during Spring and Winter since there really isn't much to see during Summer. They have Arashiyama specialty green tea flavored Japanese sweets, they can only be found in Arashiyama!
by 0124 CR rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/4 17:59
If you're looking to stay in Gion, I can recommend Hotel Sunline Gion Shijo (we stayed there last October).

Well located for a nightime stroll around Gion and Pontocho, right by the Yasaka Shrine, and in walking distance of Kiyomizudera, and nearby are bus stops for the routes that take you to Kinkakuji, etc.

Otherwise, there are Toyoko Inn/Best Western etc hotels near Kawaramachi.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - 4 day Itinerary 2014/7/6 16:50
All,
Thank you so much for your helpful answers.
I have decided to spend the first two days in Kyoto and to see around using package tours. I will then stay in Osaka for two days and then fly back home.
Thanks again

Bob
by bobb14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread